How Do Bolts Handle Engine Weight and Turbulence in Flight?

• Thread starter mb85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force on each bolt in part (a) is 5880 N. In part (b), the force on each bolt is reduced to 3546.7 N due to the upward vertical acceleration of 2.2 m/s2 on the plane.
mb85
A 1800 kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load. (a) Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits in line for clearance to take off. (b) During flight, the plane encounters turbulence, which suddenly imparts an upward vertical acceleration of 2.2 m/s2 to the plane. Calculate the force on each bolt now.

I figured the equation to use for part A would be,
F=m(a+g)
= 1800(9.8+0)
=17640 then x 1/3rd
= 5880 N for each bolt

For part B, same equation with addition of the new acceleration
F=m(g - a)
=1800(9.8 - 2.2)
= 10640 then x 1/3rd
= 3546.7 N

I think I am missing some basic concept or understanding of what i am exactly looking for? and what the equation should actually be.

Physics news on Phys.org
mb85 said:
A 1800 kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load. (a) Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits in line for clearance to take off. (b) During flight, the plane encounters turbulence, which suddenly imparts an upward vertical acceleration of 2.2 m/s2 to the plane. Calculate the force on each bolt now.

I think I am missing some basic concept or understanding of what i am exactly looking for? and what the equation should actually be.
Your answer to a) is correct. In b) your approach is correct but: ask yourself what the direction of the force on the engine is if the wings are forced upward with an acceleration of 2.2 m/sec^2. Does that add or reduce tensile forces on the bolts?

AM

Last edited:

Your calculations for both parts A and B are correct. However, there are a few things to consider in regards to the concept and equation used.

Firstly, the equation you used, F = m(a+g), represents the total force on the engine due to its weight (mg) and the acceleration (a) experienced by the jet. In part A, the plane is at rest so the acceleration is 0, and in part B, the plane experiences an upward acceleration of 2.2 m/s^2. So, the equation you used is appropriate for both parts.

However, it is important to note that the force on each bolt is not equal to the total force on the engine. This is because the bolts are not evenly distributing the weight of the engine. In reality, the weight of the engine is distributed unevenly among the bolts, with the bolt closest to the center of gravity bearing the most weight. This is why the assumption of each bolt supporting one-third of the load is just a rough estimate and not an exact representation of the actual forces on each bolt.

Additionally, in part B, the sudden upward acceleration experienced by the plane could also cause additional forces on the bolts due to the change in direction and the inertial forces acting on the engine. These forces would need to be taken into consideration for a more accurate calculation of the forces on each bolt.

In summary, your calculations are correct based on the given information and the equation used. However, in a real-world scenario, there are additional factors that would need to be considered for a more accurate calculation of the forces on each bolt.

Related to How Do Bolts Handle Engine Weight and Turbulence in Flight?

1. What is Another Basic Force Problem?

Another Basic Force Problem is a concept in physics that refers to a problem or question related to the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. It typically involves analyzing the effects of these forces on objects or particles in different scenarios.

2. How is Another Basic Force Problem different from other physics problems?

Another Basic Force Problem is unique in that it focuses specifically on the fundamental forces of nature and their effects on objects or particles. Other physics problems may involve other concepts, such as energy, motion, or thermodynamics.

3. Why is studying Another Basic Force Problem important?

Studying Another Basic Force Problem allows scientists to better understand the fundamental forces of nature and how they interact with matter. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, including astrophysics, particle physics, and engineering.

4. What are some common applications of Another Basic Force Problem?

One common application of Another Basic Force Problem is in the design and testing of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand the forces of nature. Another application is in predicting and understanding the behavior of celestial objects, such as planets and stars.

5. How do scientists approach solving Another Basic Force Problem?

Scientists approach solving Another Basic Force Problem by first identifying the forces at play and then using mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and Coulomb's law, to analyze and predict the effects of these forces on objects or particles. They may also use computer simulations and experiments to further investigate the problem.

Back