How do bones decay and what factors influence the process?

• Medical
  • Thread starter dez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of bone decay in organisms, specifically after death and burial. The time it takes for bones to decay depends on intrinsic and extrinsic factors such as soil acidity and exposure to salts. The process of fossilization is also mentioned in relation to bone decay.
dez
Hi, I am new to this forum, and i was wondering if anyone know the answer to the above question. I am trying to find the answer so I would be able to discuss it at school.

thanks,
dez

Biology news on Phys.org
Please make it clearer what your asking. Are you questioning bone loss{decay} in living organisms? Or decay rates in decedent organisms?

I wanted to know if bones decay after a person is dead and buried. If so, do you know how long it takes?

Yes, bones decay. Otherwise we would be sitting on a huge pile of bones from all the million years of life. Bones are basically a composit of protein and minerals. The time it takes for bones to decay entirely depends on intrinsic and extrinsic factors, I can not give an estimate of that.

Would you be able to come up with an important intrinsic and an important extrinsic factor?

What Monique is talking about -

When bodies are buried in boggy soils, the tannins in the soil water tan the skin, and after a while the skin is preserved and the bone gone. This can happen fairly quickly. In this case the acidity of the soil actually dissoves bone mineral.

When bodies are buried in very dry regions, and exposed to salts like natron, most tissues, including bone, can persist for thousands of years. Egyptian mummies come to mind. There are skeletal remains of early homo sapiens from the Northern Sahara desert region - ~90000 years or more that apparently have not been remineralized (fossilized).

So. Until you can be more specific, this is about as far as we can go with any details. IF you look up how bone becomes fossil it might help.

Related to How do bones decay and what factors influence the process?

1. Do bones decay over time?

Yes, bones do decay over time. Just like any other organic material, bones are subject to decomposition. However, the rate of decay for bones is much slower compared to other organic materials.

2. What causes bones to decay?

Bones decay due to the activity of microorganisms, such as bacteria and fungi, that break down the organic components of bones. Environmental factors, such as temperature, humidity, and pH levels, can also affect the rate of decay.

3. How long does it take for bones to decay?

The rate of decay for bones depends on several factors, such as the environment, the type of bone, and the presence of microorganisms. In a dry environment, bones can take hundreds or even thousands of years to fully decay. In a moist environment, bones can decay in a matter of decades.

4. Can bones decay in water?

Yes, bones can decay in water. Water can provide an ideal environment for microorganisms to thrive and break down the organic components of bones. However, cold and oxygen-deprived water can slow down the decay process.

5. What are the effects of decay on bones?

Decay can cause bones to become brittle and weak, making them more prone to breakage. It can also affect the structural integrity of bones, making them less able to support the weight of the body. In some cases, decay can completely disintegrate bones, leaving behind only fragments or dust.