How Do Calibration Methods Differ Between Thin and Thick Silicon Detectors?

In summary, when calibrating a detector set up using alpha particles, the resolution of the first detector is determined by measuring the difference in energy between the front and back face measurements, while the resolution of the second detector is calculated using the standard FWHM/centroid method. This is due to the fact that the particles pass through the first detector and lose energy, while the second detector stops the particle completely.
indie452
i am calibrating a detector set up using alpha particles to find resolution.
i have 2 silicon detectors a thin and thick one where the alpha is expected to pass through and lose energy in the first and be stopped by the second.

My handbook says i can find the energy resolution in the second thicker detector by using the standard FWHM/centroid and times this by alpha particle energy 5157KeV to get KeV resolution. then i can just take measurements from the face (front or back) of the detector with best resolution.

This i understand. But, for the first detector it is saying to plot a difference in the energy between the front and back face measurement, of which the width of this peak is the resolution of the detector. this i don't get at we generally choose a face to measure from in the actual experiment.

why is there two different methods?
is it because the particles pass through the first detector and because it has a thickness (in order to slow down the particle) there will be an energy difference between front and back?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. The difference in energy between the front and back face measurements of the first detector is due to the particle passing through the detector and losing energy in the process, which is why the resolution of the first detector is calculated by measuring the width of this peak. This is different than the second detector, which stops the particle completely, allowing the resolution to be calculated using the standard FWHM/centroid.

Related to How Do Calibration Methods Differ Between Thin and Thick Silicon Detectors?

What is the resolution of my detectors?

The resolution of a detector refers to its ability to distinguish between two closely spaced signals. It is usually expressed as the smallest change in signal that can be detected by the detector.

How is the resolution of a detector determined?

The resolution of a detector is determined by its physical design and the electronics used to process the signals. This can include factors such as the size of the detector, the type and quality of the sensor material, and the processing algorithms used.

Why is resolution an important factor for detectors?

The resolution of a detector is important because it directly affects the accuracy and precision of the measurements it can make. A higher resolution allows for more precise measurements and can reveal finer details in the data being collected.

How can I improve the resolution of my detectors?

There are several ways to improve the resolution of detectors, including using higher quality sensor materials, optimizing the electronic processing algorithms, and increasing the size of the detector. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and limitations of your experiment when attempting to improve resolution.

Are there any trade-offs to increasing the resolution of detectors?

Yes, there can be trade-offs to increasing the resolution of detectors. This can include increased cost, larger size, and longer processing times. Additionally, higher resolution detectors may be more sensitive to environmental factors, making them more difficult to use in certain conditions.