How Do Characteristic Curves Solve This Cauchy Problem?

In summary, the general solution of the Cauchy problem is y = c1x + c2u, where c1 and c2 are constants.
Julio1
Solve the following Cauchy problem using the Method of characteristic curves:

$x_1u_{x_1}+x_2u_{x_2}=\alpha u$ in $\mathbb{R}^{+}\times \mathbb{R}^{+}$

$u(x_1,1)=g(x)$ for all $x_1\in \mathbb{R}^{+}.$

Find the local solution for the problem.Hello. I get as solution $g(s)=s$, I want to know if this right. My question is how inverting the function $(t,s)\longmapsto (x_1 (t,s),x_2 (t,s))$? I have to use the Inverse function Theorem? I have it unclear how is that eliminating $t$ and $s$ the solution is obtained?

$x_1 (t,s)=s, \quad x_2 (t,s)=1, \quad z(t,s)=g(s)=\alpha u+s,$ hence that $s=1$ and $\alpha u=0.$ Therefore $g(s)=s.$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Julio said:
Solve the following Cauchy problem using the Method of characteristic curves:

$x_1u_{x_1}+x_2u_{x_2}=\alpha u$ in $\mathbb{R}^{+}\times \mathbb{R}^{+}$

$u(x_1,1)=g(x)$ for all $x_1\in \mathbb{R}^{+}.$

Find the local solution for the problem.Hello. I get as solution $g(s)=s$, I want to know if this right. My question is how inverting the function $(t,s)\longmapsto (x_1 (t,s),x_2 (t,s))$? I have to use the Inverse function Theorem? I have it unclear how is that eliminating $t$ and $s$ the solution is obtained?

$x_1 (t,s)=s, \quad x_2 (t,s)=1, \quad z(t,s)=g(s)=\alpha u+s,$ hence that $s=1$ and $\alpha u=0.$ Therefore $g(s)=s.$

First we write the PDE in the more 'conventional' form...

$\displaystyle x\ u_{x} + y\ u_{y} = \alpha\ u;\ u(x,1)= g(x)\ (1)$

Applying the standard Method of characteristic curves You arrive to...

$\displaystyle \frac{d x}{x} = \frac{dy}{y} = \frac{d u}{\alpha\ u}\ (2)$

... which is a system of two ODE that can be integrated in standard way...

$\displaystyle \frac{d x}{x} = \frac{dy}{y} \implies y= c_{1}\ x \implies c_{1} = \frac{y}{x}\ (3)$

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{y} = \frac{d u}{\alpha\ u} \implies u= c_{2}\ y^{\alpha} \implies c_{2}= \frac{u}{y^{\alpha}}\ (4)$

Now (4) and (5) permit to find the implicit form of the general solution of (1)...

$\displaystyle c_{2} = G (c_{1}) \implies \frac{u}{y^{\alpha}} = G (\frac{y}{x})\ (6)$

... where G(*,*) and its derivatives are continous...

G(*,*) can be found from initial conditions...

$\displaystyle u(x,1) = G (\frac{1}{x}) = g(x) \implies u = y^{\alpha}\ g(\frac{x}{y})\ (7)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do Characteristic Curves Solve This Cauchy Problem?

What is the Method of Characteristic Curves?

The Method of Characteristic Curves is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves plotting curves, known as characteristic curves, on a graph to visualize the solution to the equation.

How is the Method of Characteristic Curves used in science?

The Method of Characteristic Curves is used in science to solve various physical and engineering problems, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetics. It is especially useful for problems that involve multiple independent variables.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Characteristic Curves?

One of the main advantages of the Method of Characteristic Curves is that it provides a visual representation of the solution, making it easier to understand and interpret. It also allows for the solution to be obtained for a wide range of initial and boundary conditions.

What are some limitations of the Method of Characteristic Curves?

The Method of Characteristic Curves may not always be applicable to all types of partial differential equations. Additionally, it may be computationally intensive and time-consuming for complex problems.

Are there any real-world applications of the Method of Characteristic Curves?

Yes, the Method of Characteristic Curves has many real-world applications, including predicting the flow of fluids in pipes, analyzing the heat distribution in materials, and modeling electromagnetic waves. It is also commonly used in the design and optimization of engineering systems.

Back