How Do Circles and Parallel Lines Interact in Geometry?

In summary, the question is asking about finding the difference between the area of a shaded rectangle and a dotted rectangle. The answer can be found by cancelling the dotted areas with their corresponding shaded areas, leaving a dotted rectangle with an area of 32 cm squared.
wailingkoh
Hi all,

Please help. I am stuck with the question below and I have no clue how to solve:

View attachment 4573

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• wailingkoh01.jpg
    wailingkoh01.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 70
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• areas.png
    areas.png
    4 KB · Views: 69
Hi
Thanks for the reply. Do I solve it by fraction. Sorry, I am very lost with this question

8 multiply by 4 for 32 units square but I still won't get the full shaded and unshaded

You don't need them. "Cancelling" the dotted areas with their corresponding shaded areas leaves a dotted rectangle which is 32 cm. squared. That's the difference between the two areas.

Awesome!
I was so silly.

Thanks for the help.

This forum is great

Related to How Do Circles and Parallel Lines Interact in Geometry?

1. What is the difference between a circle and a parallel line?

A circle is a closed shape with all points equidistant from the center, while a parallel line is a pair of lines that never intersect and maintain the same distance from each other.

2. How do you find the equation of a circle?

The equation of a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

3. Can a circle and a parallel line intersect?

No, a circle and a parallel line can never intersect since a circle is a curved shape and a parallel line is a straight line that maintains the same distance from another line.

4. How many parallel lines can be drawn to a given circle from a point outside the circle?

There can be infinite parallel lines drawn from a point outside a circle to the circle.

5. What is the relationship between parallel lines and transversals?

Parallel lines and transversals have a special relationship where corresponding angles are congruent, alternate interior angles are congruent, and same-side interior angles are supplementary.