How Do Circuit Currents Distribute in Complex Networks?

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the equation for node v1 node is set up, but v2 node confuses the author. The 1A current flows into node 2, but it is unknown how much. It is also unknown how to find out how much current the 1A source is contributing into node 2. The author tries to find out how to set up the KVL for node 1, but has trouble understanding the current flowing through the 10 V voltage source to V1. The book is correct and the solution is just a few lines.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7725/1038d.png

Homework Equations

KVL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'v set up the equation for node v1 node, but v2 node confuses me.

would it be correct to assume that the 1A current flows into node 2? Or does only part of it flow into node 2, (with the other part going down the 10 ohm resistor into ground)

How do i find out how much current that 1A source is contributing into node 2.

Also when setting up the KVL for node 1, i have (v1/5ohms) + (v1 - v2)/5ohms... but i can't figure out the current comming through the 10v Voltage source to V1. I coudl do V1-V2, and then divide it by the resistance of the voltage source. but i don't know the resistance of the voltage source.

please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the voltage across the resistor between the nodes v2 and v1: it is 10 V. What is the magnitude and direction of the current flowing through it?

The nodes at v2 are connected with a single wire so they can be replaced by a single node. Write the sum of currents for it. Do not forget to include is.

You know the relation between the voltages: v1=v2+10. Express the current flowing between v1 and the ground through the left 5 ohm resistor.

Write an equation for the currents at the node at v1, including is .

These equation must be enough to get the unknown voltages and currents.

ehild

After working through it, the answer i got for Is was -4A.

The book however says -3.33A. But this book has been wrong before. Have i made a mistake, or is the book wrong. I looked through my working and didn't spot anything mathamatically incorrect, but it's multiple pages in length.

The book is correct. And the solution is just a few lines. Try to follow my post.

ehild

Hmm.. I seem to be doing something wrong.

here are my two equations:

at V1 I have

(V1/5) + Is -2 = 0

and at V2 i have

Is + 2 + (v2/10) +1 = 0

Does this look right?

You're close but both expressions have an error due to incorrect sign/s.

I like to think of using KCL as: sum of current coming in = sum of current going out

Edit: Oh, and you're forgetting Is at V2

Learnphysics said:
Hmm.. I seem to be doing something wrong.

here are my two equations:

at V1 I have

(V1/5) + Is -2 = 0

and at V2 i have

Is + 2 + (v2/10) +1 = 0

Does this look right?

No. Remember the current flows in the direction of the electric field which is proportional to the negative potential difference, from a place at a more positive potential to the negative one. You know that the potential at the left terminal of the top 5 ohm (v1) resistor is 10 V higher than that of the right terminal. So the current flows from left to right. At the 10 ohm resistor: The upper end is at v2 potential, the lower one is at 0 potential. The current flows from the node v2 to the ground.

ehild

Related to How Do Circuit Currents Distribute in Complex Networks?

1. What is a circuit problem?

A circuit problem refers to any issue or malfunction that occurs within an electrical circuit. This can include issues with components not working properly, a circuit not being able to carry a current, or a circuit not functioning as intended.

2. How do you identify a circuit problem?

To identify a circuit problem, you can perform various tests such as using a multimeter to check for continuity, visually inspecting components for any damage, and tracing the flow of current through the circuit. Additionally, troubleshooting techniques can help pinpoint the cause of the problem.

3. What are common causes of circuit problems?

There are several common causes of circuit problems, including loose or damaged connections, faulty components, incorrect wiring, and overloading the circuit with too much current. Environmental factors such as extreme temperatures or moisture can also contribute to circuit problems.

4. How do you fix a circuit problem?

The solution to fixing a circuit problem depends on the specific issue at hand. In some cases, simply replacing a faulty component or tightening a loose connection may solve the problem. However, more complex issues may require rewiring, replacing the entire circuit, or consulting with a professional electrician.

5. How can circuit problems be prevented?

To prevent circuit problems, it is important to properly plan and design circuits, use high-quality components, and follow safety guidelines when handling electrical equipment. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and prevent potential circuit problems before they occur.