How Do Climbers Use Physics to Rappel Down Cliffs?

In summary: T_x.The problem assumes that the rope does not pivot, as odd as that sounds. The torques are all with respect to a pivot about the climber's feet. Because gravity acts downwards, the torque will be clockwise.
BlueDevil14

Homework Statement

Mountaineers often use a rope to lower themselves down the face of a cliff (this is called rappelling). They do this with their body nearly horizontal and their feet pushing against the cliff (the figure ). Suppose that an 76.2 kg climber, who is 1.88 m tall and has a center of gravity 1.2 m from his feet, rappels down a vertical cliff with his body raised 33.0 degrees above the horizontal. He holds the rope 1.43 m from his feet, and it makes a 27.2 degree angle with the cliff face.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand conceptually how to solve the problem, but I am making a small mistake somewhere that I cannot find.

Using the moment arm method:
Counterclockwise torques: T_y * sin(33)*1.43 m
Clockwise torques: T_x * cos(33)*1.43 m + 746.76 N *sin(33)*1.2

T_x=sin(27.2)*T
T_y=sin(62.8)*T

Because net torque is zero:
sin(62.8)*T*sin(33)*1.43 m = sin(27.2)*T*cos(33)*1.43 m + 746.76 N *sin(33)*1.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the tension in the rope? I'm not clear and what the question is looking for

Yes, I am trying to find tension in the rope. Sorry, I left out that important piece of information.

I find the question strange, because really, there is two pivot points. One where the rope is attached to the cliff and also at the feet of the person who is 33 degrees above the horizontal.

How are you deciding whether the force of gravity on the person is clockwise or counterclockwise? And what pivot point are you referring to?

I believe the problem assumes that the rope does not pivot, as odd as that sounds. The torques are all with respect to a pivot about the climber's feet.

Because gravity acts downwards, the torque will be clockwise.

You used sin 33 as the angle for force gravity between the person's legs and the horizontal.

This angle is meant to be between the force gravity (which is always straight down) and the person's legs, so instead of using 33, you use 90 - 33 = 57.

Try using:

746.76 N *sin(57)*1.2

For the torque of the person's weight instead

Thanks, that makes sense. For some reason though, it is not correct still.

I assume it is another aimless trig mistake.

Sorry I can't be of much more help. I'm only doing entry level physics myself (conveniently, I was doing some torque problems today), but I've never done any torque problems like this.

Truthfully, I'm really confused by these parts:

Because net torque is zero:
sin(62.8)*T*sin(33)*1.43 m = sin(27.2)*T*cos(33)*1.43 m + 746.76 N *sin(33)*1.2

I'm just assuming that's the torque of the rope? But how is it both clockwise and counter clockwise?

And in most likeliness, it's probably a simple mistake

The torque is about the pivot point, I am only using torque as an equation to solve for T

Related to How Do Climbers Use Physics to Rappel Down Cliffs?

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and all the forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net force or acceleration.

2. How is static equilibrium related to torque?

Torque is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis. In static equilibrium, the net torque acting on an object must be zero, meaning the object will not rotate.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is T = rFsinθ, where T is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, F is the magnitude of the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

4. How do you achieve static equilibrium?

To achieve static equilibrium, the forces acting on an object must be balanced. This can be done by adjusting the magnitude and direction of the forces or by changing the position of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium and torque?

Examples of static equilibrium and torque can be found in many everyday situations, such as a see-saw at the park, a ladder leaning against a wall, or a book sitting on a table. In each case, the forces acting on the object are balanced, and there is no rotation.