How Do Different Aperture Shapes in a Styrofoam Box Affect Wave Harmonics?

In summary, the speaker experiment in a styrofoam box revealed that the shape of the hole in the front affects the shape of the wave, with some being sinusoidal and others having a different shape due to harmonics. The only varying factor is the scale of spatial dimensions. To compare the harmonics between blocks, one would need to measure the spatial dimensions of the wave and compare it to the dimensions of the apparatus.
arianna1012
I did an experiment for school, and I put a speaker in a styrofoam box with a rectangle cut out of the front. I had styrofoam bricks that fit perfectly in the hole, each with a hole cut out. The hole shape differed, with things like a funnel, a diagonal line, a circle, a square, etc. I was trying to see if it effected the property of the wave, like wavelength, frequency, etc., but after getting my data I realized it actually effected the shape of the wave. Some are sinusoidal, but others have more of a triangle or even a square shape. I know this is caused by the harmonics, but I need to figure out a way to compare the harmonics from a certain block to the other blocks. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing that varies with different shaped holes is the scale of the spatial dimensions. How would you measure the spatial dimensions of a wave and how does it compare to the spatial dimensions of the apparatus?

Related to How Do Different Aperture Shapes in a Styrofoam Box Affect Wave Harmonics?

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that carries energy through a medium, such as air or water. It is created when an object vibrates, causing the molecules in the medium to vibrate and create a series of compressions and rarefactions. These vibrations are then perceived by our ears as sound.

2. What are harmonics?

Harmonics are frequencies that are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency of a sound wave. They are produced when an object vibrates at different frequencies simultaneously, creating a complex sound wave with multiple frequencies.

3. How do harmonics affect the quality of sound?

Harmonics play a crucial role in determining the quality of sound. They can either enhance or distort the sound, depending on their amplitudes and frequencies. The presence of harmonics can also affect the timbre, or tone color, of a sound.

4. How do we measure the harmonics of a sound wave?

The harmonics of a sound wave can be measured using a spectrum analyzer, which displays the different frequencies and their amplitudes. The higher the amplitude of a harmonic, the more prominent it is in the sound wave.

5. How can we manipulate harmonics to alter sound?

Harmonics can be manipulated through various techniques such as filtering, equalization, and modulation. By adjusting the amplitudes and frequencies of harmonics, we can change the overall quality and character of a sound. This is commonly used in music production and sound design to create unique and interesting sounds.