How Do Displacement-Time, Velocity-Time, and Acceleration-Time Graphs Relate?

• Thread starter Sean1218
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation is about understanding displacement-time, velocity-time, and acceleration-time graphs and their relationship. The person is struggling with understanding how the curves of these graphs affect each other and is seeking clarification and explanation. They have tried different resources but are still struggling and have a test the next day.
Sean1218
Hi, sorry for not using the template, but my question doesn't really fit.

Basically, I'm trying to move between displacement-time graphs, velocity-time graphs, and acceleration-time graphs.

Ex: http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3391/10113039.jpg

I have a sheet filled out, but it only has some of the different types of accelerated motion (like those in the example), and I'm trying to understand why it moves like it does, rather than just the answer (I wouldn't be able to do it with any examples that aren't on my sheet if I don't know how it works).

I've been thinking trying to do this for over an hour, but the differences between how slow to fast and fast to slow curves affect the vt/at graphs is so huge, and I can't figure out how exactly it changes it (only the middle one in the screenshot is slow to fast). I've tried other resources (such as google) as well.

I know that you want people to show an effort, but this isn't really something you can show your work for, and I feel I've done all that I can do; either you know it or you don't, so I was hoping someone could explain (for other examples besides the image as well i.e. fast to slow curves, slow to fast curves, with both positive and negative slope, and both above and below the x-axis).

PS. I have a test tomorrow. I'd ask my teacher, but I've been sick the last week and he isn't giving me any time to ask questions so I'm on my own..

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the derivatives of the functions on your graphs, that may help

For the first one,

-Notice that as t increases, the slope of d decreases. Since velocity is the slope of the position graph, what does a zero slope on a distance graph mean in terms of the velocity? Once you have the velocity graph, what would the derivative of the velocity (acceleration) look like?

Well if there was a slope of zero on the position graph, you would not be moving

Hi there,

I understand your frustration and I'm happy to help explain the differences between displacement-time, velocity-time, and acceleration-time graphs. These graphs are all related to each other and can help us understand the motion of an object.

Firstly, let's start with the displacement-time graph. This graph shows the change in an object's position over time. The slope of this graph gives us the velocity of the object at any given time. If the slope is positive, it means the object is moving in a positive direction (towards the right in your example graph) and if the slope is negative, it means the object is moving in a negative direction (towards the left in your example graph).

Next, let's look at the velocity-time graph. This graph shows the change in an object's velocity over time. The slope of this graph gives us the acceleration of the object at any given time. If the slope is positive, it means the object is accelerating in a positive direction (getting faster) and if the slope is negative, it means the object is accelerating in a negative direction (slowing down).

Finally, the acceleration-time graph shows the change in an object's acceleration over time. The slope of this graph tells us how the acceleration is changing over time. If the slope is positive, it means the acceleration is increasing (getting faster) and if the slope is negative, it means the acceleration is decreasing (slowing down).

Now, let's apply this to your example graph. The first section of the displacement-time graph shows a positive slope, meaning the object is moving in a positive direction and getting faster. This is reflected in the velocity-time graph with a positive slope, indicating the object is accelerating in a positive direction. The acceleration-time graph also has a positive slope, showing that the acceleration is increasing over time.

In the middle section of the displacement-time graph, there is a horizontal line. This means the object is not moving and has a velocity of 0. This is reflected in the velocity-time graph with a horizontal line at 0. The acceleration-time graph also has a horizontal line, indicating that the acceleration is constant and equal to 0.

In the final section of the displacement-time graph, there is a negative slope, meaning the object is moving in a negative direction and slowing down. This is reflected in the velocity-time graph with a negative slope, indicating the object is accelerating in a negative direction. The acceleration-time graph also has a negative

Related to How Do Displacement-Time, Velocity-Time, and Acceleration-Time Graphs Relate?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a simple kinematics question?

A simple kinematics question involves solving for the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object using basic equations of motion, such as the equations of constant velocity or constant acceleration.

3. What are the basic equations of motion?

The basic equations of motion are:
- Position: x = x0 + vt
- Velocity: v = v0 + at
- Acceleration: a = (v - v0)/t
where x is the position, v is the velocity, a is the acceleration, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

4. How do I solve a simple kinematics question?

To solve a simple kinematics question, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, choose the appropriate equation of motion, and plug in the values to solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems?

Common mistakes when solving kinematics problems include:
- Using the wrong equation of motion
- Not converting units correctly
- Forgetting to consider the direction of motion
- Not using correct signs for velocity and acceleration
To avoid these mistakes, it's important to carefully read the problem and double check your calculations.