How Do Electromagnetic and Regenerative Braking Systems Work?

In summary, the setup shown in the diagram utilizes an aluminium plate as a conductor to induce an emf and generate a current, which interacts with the external magnetic field to decelerate the glider. In electric and hybrid cars, regenerative breaking is achieved by reversing the direction of the electric motor to act as a generator and store the induced energy in a capacitor, which can later be discharged to slow down the car.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=154354&d=1338984201.png

Q1: explain how the setup shown in the diagram acts as a break?

Q2: Electric and hybrid cars use regenerative breaking. At high speeds, the car can be slowed by reversing the direction of the electric motor so that it acts as a generator. Explain how this system operates in slowing down the car?
--------

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer 1: The aluminium plate is a good conductor of electricity. As the plate passes through the uniform field, the amount of flux linking with the plate changes and hence an emf is induced. Because of the nature of the aluminium plate (conductor) a small current will flow. The direction of this induced current is such as to oppose the change creating it.
The current-carrying aluminium plate will produce its' own magnetic field that interacts with the external magnetic field. By flemmings LHR the force on the plate acts to the left and hence acts to decellerate the glider.

Is this correct?

Answer 2:
I am not entirely sure how this works so would be grateful if someone could help me along with my explanation. I will give it a go, though

From what I understand the induced current in the genetator opposes the current from the motor and acts as a break...I am very unsure though how to answer this question to gain the 3 marks assigned to it...

Thanks for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
note: the currents induced are EDDY currents

for Q2) i think there could be a switch connected to the coil that switches through a connection with a capacitor and another connection with the car battery . When the break is applied , the coil experiencing b field lines is connected to the capacitor , the induced emf (or electrical energy)by the generator is stored within the capacitor , and when one is to use the stored energy , the capacitor is discharged .

I don't know much about capacitors , and therefore i don't know whether this works.

Related to How Do Electromagnetic and Regenerative Braking Systems Work?

1. What is electromagnetic braking?

Electromagnetic braking is a method of braking that uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to slow down or stop a moving object. It works by creating a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the object, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. How does electromagnetic braking work?

Electromagnetic braking works by using a magnetic field to create a force that opposes the motion of a moving object. This is achieved by passing an electrical current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field. As the object moves through this magnetic field, it experiences a force that slows it down.

3. What are the advantages of electromagnetic braking?

One of the main advantages of electromagnetic braking is that it does not rely on friction, unlike traditional brake systems. This means that there is less wear and tear on the braking system and it can last longer. Additionally, electromagnetic braking can provide more precise control over the speed of the object, making it useful in applications where precise braking is necessary.

4. What are the applications of electromagnetic braking?

Electromagnetic braking has a wide range of applications, including in trains, elevators, roller coasters, and other forms of transportation. It is also used in industrial machinery and equipment, such as cranes and hoists, to control the movement of heavy objects. In addition, electromagnetic braking is also used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines, to control the speed of the blades.

5. Is electromagnetic braking more efficient than traditional braking systems?

While electromagnetic braking has many advantages, it is not always more efficient than traditional braking systems. In some cases, the initial cost of implementing electromagnetic braking may be higher than traditional braking systems. However, in the long run, electromagnetic braking can save on maintenance and replacement costs due to its longer lifespan and less wear and tear.