How Do Electrons Behave Between Charged Parallel Plates?

In summary, The electron beam enters the region between two oppositely charged parallel plates near the negatively charged plate, as shown below. The plates are 0.150m long and are 0.040m apart. There is an electrical potential difference of 60.0V across the two plates which creates an electric field in the region. The path of the electrons just touches the edge of one of the plates as the beam exits the region between the parallel plates.
skg94

Homework Statement

An electron beam enters the region between two oppositely charged parallel plates near the negatively charged plate, as shown below. The plates are 0.150m long and are 0.040m apart. There is an electrical potential difference of 60.0V across the two plates which creates an electric field in the region.

The path of the electrons just touches the edge of one of the plates as the beam exits the region between the parallel plates.

---------------------- negative plate
|
|.040m 60.0V
|
----------------------- positive plate
.150m

Homework Equations

e=ΔV/ΔD
a=Fe/m

The Attempt at a Solution

1. E=v/d
60v/.040m = 1500v/m

a=fe/m=qe/m=(1.6*10^-19)(1500)/(9.11*10^-31)= 2.634467618*10^14 down

t=[itex]\sqrt{2d/a}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(2*.040)/2.63...*10^14}[/itex]
= 1.742603416*10^-8

so using projectile motion i made a chart and listed variables i knew

y
a=2.6...*10^14
V-intial = 0
d=.040m

x
Vi=?
d=.150m

So i found time since time is the same in these types of question if I am correct.

V=d/t
v=.150/1.74*10^-8
=8.61*10^m/s

is this right? i have no answer sheet and I am wondering if i did it right

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
skg94 said:
so using projectile motion i made a chart and listed variables i knew

y
a=2.6...*10^14
V-intial = 0
d=.040m

x
Vi=?
d=.150m

So i found time since time is the same in these types of question if I am correct.

V=d/t
v=.150/1.74*10^-8
=8.61*10^?m/s

is this right? i have no answer sheet and I am wondering if i did it right

thanks

The power of 10 is missing from your result. Otherwise the solution is correct.

ehild said:
The power of 10 is missing from your result. Otherwise the solution is correct.

oops sorry, i got to the power of 6, ill recheck my work perphaps i rounded wrong or perphaps you might have

Power of 6 is OK. I checked your solution, it is correct.

ehild

for your help

Dear student,
Your approach seems to be correct. However, I would suggest using the equation v = sqrt(2*q*V/m) to find the velocity of the electrons. This equation takes into account the electric potential difference (V) and the charge (q) of the electron, in addition to its mass (m). This will give you a more accurate value for the velocity of the electrons. Also, make sure to use the correct units for all values in your calculations. Good luck with your homework!

FAQ: How Do Electrons Behave Between Charged Parallel Plates?

1. What are parallel plates and how do they relate to electrons?

Parallel plates are two flat metal surfaces that are placed close together and parallel to each other. They are commonly used in experiments involving electrons because they provide a uniform electric field between the plates, allowing for controlled movement of electrons.

2. How do electrons move through parallel plates?

When a voltage is applied across the parallel plates, an electric field is created between the plates. This electric field exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to move from the negatively charged plate to the positively charged plate.

3. What is the significance of the distance between the parallel plates?

The distance between the parallel plates determines the strength of the electric field between them. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field will be, resulting in a greater force on the electrons and a higher rate of movement.

4. How does the voltage applied to the parallel plates affect the movement of electrons?

The voltage applied to the parallel plates determines the strength of the electric field between them. A higher voltage will result in a stronger electric field and a greater force on the electrons, causing them to move faster.

5. What factors influence the speed and direction of electrons moving through parallel plates?

The speed and direction of electrons moving through parallel plates are influenced by the strength of the electric field, the voltage applied, and the distance between the plates. Additionally, the charge of the electrons and the presence of any other particles or materials in the space between the plates can also affect their movement.

Back