How Do First Class Levers Apply to Scissors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the principle of moments and its application to first class levers. It explains the relationship between distance and force needed to maintain balance in a lever system and provides an example involving a stone and a person. The concept of work is also briefly mentioned. Finally, the conversation touches upon the use of levers in scissors and the relationship between distance and force in this scenario.
Peter G.
I understand the principle of moments and how it is applicable to first class levers:

A stone, at 1 m from the fulcrum weights 300N
I stand at 3 m from the fulcrum:

Clockwise Moment = Anticlockwise Moment
F x 3 = 300 x 1
Therefore, I have to exert 100N of force to lift the stone. To balance the "see-saw"

The work I do in case I want to raise it by 0.1 m will be:
I stand at 3 meters, the load at 1, so I move three times the distance, therefore, the work I do will be using the distance of 0.3 m

Therefore, Force x Distance = 100 x 0.3 = 30 Joules

However, I need to understand how a scissor works. I am assuming it consists of two first class levers. Does it work like this?

I grip the scissor at 0.1 m from the fulcrum and exert 10 N of force, providing a clockwise turning effect of 1 N/m

The object I'm trying to cut is at 0.05 m from the fulcrum. My guess is that it experiences the same turning effect, but being closer to the fulcrum it will suffer from a much greater force: 10 x 0.1 = F x 0.05 = 20 N of force.

Sorry for the long text but I think it makes it easier for you guys to help me despite being a "pain" to endure :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter! :wink:
Peter G. said:
I grip the scissor at 0.1 m from the fulcrum and exert 10 N of force, providing a clockwise turning effect of 1 N/m

The object I'm trying to cut is at 0.05 m from the fulcrum. My guess is that it experiences the same turning effect, but being closer to the fulcrum it will suffer from a much greater force: 10 x 0.1 = F x 0.05 = 20 N of force.

Yes, that's right! :smile:

Thanks a lot Tiny-tim! :biggrin:

Related to How Do First Class Levers Apply to Scissors?

1. What is a first class lever?

A first class lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or rod, called a lever, that pivots on a fulcrum. It is used to lift or move objects by applying force at one end of the lever while the object is located at the other end.

2. How do first class levers work?

In a first class lever, the fulcrum is located between the effort force (the force applied to the lever) and the load (the object being moved). When the effort force is applied, it creates a moment (a rotational force) around the fulcrum, causing the lever to pivot and lift or move the load.

3. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of the lever, states that for a lever to be in equilibrium (balanced), the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is used to determine the relationship between the effort force, load, and fulcrum position in a first class lever.

4. What are some examples of first class levers?

Some common examples of first class levers include seesaws, crowbars, scissors, and pliers. In the human body, the neck acts as a first class lever, with the head as the load, the neck muscles as the effort force, and the atlanto-occipital joint (where the skull meets the spine) as the fulcrum.

5. How can first class levers be used to increase mechanical advantage?

First class levers can increase mechanical advantage by adjusting the position of the fulcrum. By moving the fulcrum closer to the load, a smaller effort force is required to lift or move the load, but the distance the lever must travel is increased. Conversely, by moving the fulcrum closer to the effort force, a greater effort force is required, but the distance the lever must travel is decreased.