How Do Forces Distribute Among Blocks on a Frictionless Surface?

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the hand pushes on the left most box (A) such that the three boxes accelerate in the positive horizontal direction as shown at a rate of a = 0.7 m/s2. The magnitude of the force on block A from the hand is 16.9 N, and the net force on block A is 5.6 N.
mohabitar
Three blocks, each of mass 8 kg are on a frictionless table. A hand pushes on the left most box (A) such that the three boxes accelerate in the positive horizontal direction as shown at a rate of a = 0.7 m/s2.

Here are the ones I got right:
1. What is the magnitude of the force on block A from the hand?
Answer: 16.9-Correct
2. What is the net horizontal force on block A ?
Answer:5.6-Correct

And now the ones I can't figure out:
3. What is the horizontal force on block A due to block B?
and
4. What is the net horizontal force on block B?

For number 3, I tried subtracting (0.7*3) from total force of 16.9 but that was incorrect. Not sure how to approach this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
mohabitar said:
Three blocks, each of mass 8 kg are on a frictionless table. A hand pushes on the left most box (A) such that the three boxes accelerate in the positive horizontal direction as shown at a rate of a = 0.7 m/s2.

Here are the ones I got right:
1. What is the magnitude of the force on block A from the hand?
Answer: 16.9-Correct16.8?
2. What is the net horizontal force on block A ?
Answer:5.6-Correct

And now the ones I can't figure out:
3. What is the horizontal force on block A due to block B?
and+
4. What is the net horizontal force on block B?

For number 3, I tried subtracting (0.7*3) from total force of 16.9 but that was incorrect. Not sure how to approach this one.
For #3,why 0.7*3? Is that a typo error? If the hand force on A is 16.8 N to the right, and the net force on A is 5.6 N to the right, then the force of B on A must be _____ to the ____.

For #4, F_net = ma. What is m and what is a? What is the direction of F_net?

Always draw free body diagrams.

Ok number 3 is -11.2

Number 4-wouldnt that answer be the same as the net force on block A? Why or why not? In this case fnet=ma would be f=8(0.7)=5.6, same as number 2. Whats wrong with this reasoning? Or would I have to also add to that the force coming from block A as well? The direction would be positive.

mohabitar said:
Ok number 3 is -11.2
that is correct, where the minus sign indicates that the force of B on A acts to the left.
Number 4-wouldnt that answer be the same as the net force on block A? Why or why not? In this case fnet=ma would be f=8(0.7)=5.6, same as number 2. Whats wrong with this reasoning?
Nothing, it is correct. But be sure to indicate its direction is to the right.
Or would I have to also add to that the force coming from block A as well? The direction would be positive.
There are two horizontal forces acting on B .One is from Block A, 11.2 N acting to the right (per Newton 3). the other is from Block C, which you can calculate if you were asked, by knowing that the NET force on B is 5.6 N to the right.

Wait so the answer to 4 is not just 5.6? So the net horizontal force on B would have to be the sum of the forces acting on it from the left and right. Since A is giving B a force of 11.2 N positive direction and C is also giving B a force in the negative direction, the answer could not be 5.6?

mohabitar said:
Wait so the answer to 4 is not just 5.6?
the answer to #4 IS 5.6 N to the right, using F_net=ma.
So the net horizontal force on B would have to be the sum of the forces acting on it from the left and right.
that is correct
Since A is giving B a force of 11.2 N positive direction and C is also giving B a force in the negative direction, the answer could not be 5.6?
Why not? 11.2 N to the right from A , and 5.6N to the left from C , so the net force is 11.2-5.6 = 5.6 N to the right. Convice yourself that the force of C on B is 5.6 N to the left, by looking at a free body diagram of C.

FAQ: How Do Forces Distribute Among Blocks on a Frictionless Surface?

1. What is a Basic 3 Block Question?

A Basic 3 Block Question is a type of research question that is composed of three main components: the independent variable, dependent variable, and control variable. It is used to investigate cause and effect relationships in scientific studies.

2. How do you construct a Basic 3 Block Question?

To construct a Basic 3 Block Question, first identify the independent variable (what you are changing or manipulating), the dependent variable (what you are measuring or observing), and the control variable (what you are keeping constant). Then, formulate a question that clearly states the relationship between these variables.

3. What is the purpose of a Basic 3 Block Question?

The purpose of a Basic 3 Block Question is to guide scientific inquiry and provide a clear focus for research. It helps to identify the specific variables being studied and the relationship between them, making the research process more structured and efficient.

4. How is a Basic 3 Block Question different from other types of research questions?

A Basic 3 Block Question is different from other types of research questions because it specifically focuses on cause and effect relationships between variables. Other types of research questions may focus on different aspects, such as correlations or descriptive information.

5. Can a Basic 3 Block Question be used in all fields of science?

Yes, a Basic 3 Block Question can be used in all fields of science as long as there are variables that can be manipulated and measured. This type of question is commonly used in experiments, but can also be adapted for observational or survey studies.

Back