How Do General Plane Equations Differ from Tangent Surface Equations?

In summary, the two equations for a plane are related in that they both represent a plane, but the second equation is a specific example of the first equation with a tangent surface and normal vector.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

What's the difference between the two equations for a plane?

This question is somewhat related to my other, overarching question here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/i-am-confused-about-how-multivariable-calc-works.798798/

Homework Equations

## a(x - x_0) + b(y - y_0) + c(z - z_0) = 0 ##
and
## z - z_0 = f_x (x_0, y_0)(x-x_0) + f_y (x_0, y_0)(y-y_0) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the relationship between these two equations are. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

What's the difference between the two equations for a plane?

Homework Equations

## a(x - x_0) + b(y - y_0) + c(z - z_0) = 0 ##
and
## z - z_0 = f_x (x_0, y_0)(x-x_0) + f_y (x_0, y_0)(y-y_0) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the relationship between these two equations are. Thanks everyone.

There's no deep difference. The first is the general form of a plane with ##(a,b,c)## as a normal vector. The second is a specific example of a plane corresponding to a tangent surface with normal vector ##(f_x,f_y,-1)##.

FAQ: How Do General Plane Equations Differ from Tangent Surface Equations?

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a three-dimensional surface at a single point, known as the point of tangency. It is used in mathematics to approximate the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point.

2. What causes confusion with tangent planes?

Tangent plane confusion can arise when trying to visualize or understand how a tangent plane relates to a curved surface. It can also occur when trying to calculate or manipulate equations involving tangent planes.

3. How can I overcome confusion with tangent planes?

One way to overcome this confusion is to work through example problems and practice visualizing tangent planes in different scenarios. It can also be helpful to break down the concept into smaller, simpler parts and build understanding from there.

4. Are there any real-life applications of tangent planes?

Yes, tangent planes have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, in computer graphics, tangent planes are used to map textures onto 3D models.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding a tangent plane?

Yes, the general formula for finding a tangent plane at a given point on a surface is called the tangent plane equation. This equation involves partial derivatives and the gradient of the surface at the given point.