How Do Hanging Nodes Affect Adaptive Meshing in LS-DYNA?

• Thread starter bach_viet90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meshing
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Adaptive meshing in Ls-Dyna and the concept of hanging nodes. It is common to use hanging nodes in adaptive mesh refinement as it allows for splitting an element into smaller ones without the need for remeshing. The new node belongs to elements 2 and 3, but not element 0, which still recognizes the split element. This is important for calculating fluxes over the face.
bach_viet90
Hello everybody!
I have just use Ls-Dyna last week and when I use Adaptive meshing I got that.
Capture-1.png

So what are elements the new node belong to 1, 2 or 3. I used type shell 163 - 4 nodes element!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's called a hanging node. It's very common to use this in adaptive mesh refinement because you don't need to remesh, you just split an element into 2,3 or 4 smaller elements (in this case, Ansys is always using subdivision into 4 cells).
Each element has 4 nodes, but not every node needs to border 4 elements.
The node belongs to element 2 and 3, not to element 0, although element 0 knows that there is a bordering element that has been split in two. You need this of course to calculate the fluxes over the face.

FAQ: How Do Hanging Nodes Affect Adaptive Meshing in LS-DYNA?

What is ANSYS/LS-DYNA Adaptive meshing?

ANSYS/LS-DYNA Adaptive meshing is a feature in the ANSYS program that allows for dynamic and automatic mesh refinement during a finite element analysis. It is especially useful for simulating problems with large deformations or complex geometries.

Why is adaptive meshing important?

Adaptive meshing is important because it allows for a more accurate solution to be obtained in a shorter amount of time. It also helps to reduce computational costs by avoiding over-refinement in areas where it is not necessary.

How does adaptive meshing work?

Adaptive meshing works by analyzing the results of the initial mesh and identifying areas where the mesh needs to be refined. It then automatically adds or removes elements in those areas to improve the accuracy of the solution.

What are the benefits of using ANSYS/LS-DYNA Adaptive meshing?

The benefits of using ANSYS/LS-DYNA Adaptive meshing include improved accuracy, reduced computational costs, and the ability to simulate complex problems that would be difficult to solve using a traditional fixed mesh approach.

Are there any limitations to using adaptive meshing?

While adaptive meshing is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of simulations, and the accuracy of the results may be affected by the initial mesh quality. It also requires additional computational resources, so the user should consider this when selecting the appropriate meshing approach for their simulation.

Back