How Do Helper Springs Work in Truck Suspensions?

• Thread starter deaner08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, truck suspensions often have "helper springs" that engage at high loads, such as a leaf spring with a helper coil spring mounted on the axle. When the main leaf spring is compressed by distance y0, the helper spring engages and supports any additional load. The leaf spring constant is 5.30x10^5 N/m, the helper spring constant is 3.60x10^5 N/m, and y0 = 0.500 m. For a load of 4.90x10^5 N, the compression of the leaf spring would be 0.275 m and the work done in compressing the springs would be 6.19x10^4 J. The remaining load,
deaner08
5. [SerCP7 5.P.022.] Truck suspensions often have "helper springs" that engage at high loads. One such arrangement is a leaf spring with a helper coil spring mounted on the axle, as shown in Figure P5.22. When the main leaf spring is compressed by distance y0, the helper spring engages and then helps to support any additional load. Suppose the leaf spring constant is 5.30 105 N/m, the helper spring constant is 3.60 105 N/m, and y0 = 0.500 m.

Figure P5.22

(a) What is the compression of the leaf spring for a load of 4.90 x 10^5 N?

(b) How much work is done in compressing the springs?
J

I am really not sure where to begin or how to set up this spring problem... Any help is greatly appreciated...thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, weight is force due to gravity, so let W = F = kx, or x = W/k.

So, if the leaf spring were to handle the entire load, what would x be?

If x > 0.5 m, the "helper spring" then shares the load.

So how much of the load corresponds to deflection of 0.5 m?

Then the remainder of the load is shared between the springs.

thanks a lot. that really helps.

If I find the W or F(x) required to compress the spring to its threshold of 0.5m, and minus that from the total load applied to the spring leaf, what do I do with the remaining load? Do I divide it equally between the leaf spring and the helper spring since they are sharing the remaining load?
Thanks so much!

Related to How Do Helper Springs Work in Truck Suspensions?

What is the spring problem?

The spring problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object attached to a spring, based on the properties of the object and the spring.

How do I solve a spring problem?

To solve a spring problem, you need to use Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. You also need to use Newton's laws of motion to analyze the forces acting on the object attached to the spring.

What are the key components of a spring problem?

The key components of a spring problem are the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the initial conditions, such as the initial position and velocity of the object. These components are used to calculate the amplitude, frequency, and period of the oscillations of the object.

What is the difference between a simple harmonic motion and a damped harmonic motion in a spring problem?

In a simple harmonic motion, the oscillations of the object attached to the spring continue indefinitely due to the absence of external forces. In a damped harmonic motion, the oscillations gradually decrease in amplitude due to the presence of external forces, such as friction.

How do I apply the concept of energy conservation in a spring problem?

In a spring problem, the total energy of the system (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant. This means that you can use the conservation of energy principle to solve for unknown quantities, such as the maximum displacement or velocity of the object attached to the spring.