How Do Horizontal and Vertical Movements Differ in Subducted Plates?

In summary, the question is asking for the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity of the Juan de Fuca plate at two specific locations, x=40 km and x=340 km, shown in Figure 2. The plate's speed is given at ~40 mm/year and the dotted red line represents the interface with the continental material. To solve the question, one must estimate/calculate the angle of the plate's movement and use it to sketch velocity vectors along the curve. The angles can then be used to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity.
neongoats
For my homework I was given a velocity diagram of the Juan de Fuca plate similar to this:

F4.large.jpg

The first question is as follows:
Measurements indicate that the Juan de Fuca plate is moving at a speed of ~40 mm/year.
Calculate, and draw diagrams that show, the horizontal and vertical components of this
motion at two locations in Figure 2: at x=40 km (ie, well before the Juan de Fuca plate
encounters the North American plate), and at x=340 km (ie, after the Juan de Fuca plate has
subducted below the North American plate). I'm just super confused on what exactly this question is looking for and where I should even start? I know from the next question that I'm supposed to be finding velocity, but I don't know how to use this diagram to do that. I don't understand how the speed is relevant in comparison to the velocity on the graph and how the velocity would be used if it depends on depth etc. etc. Can someone decipher this question for me and gives me hints on where to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi neongoats, Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please retain and use the Posting Template provided when a new thread is started here in the Homework area of Physics Forums.

Seismology is not my area, but it appears to me that your Figure A provides a cross-sectional view of the plate showing how it approaches horizontally and then bends downwards at an angle which you can estimate/calculate using the distance and depth axes. I suppose the dotted red line represents the interface of the plate with the continental material, so its curve follows the "surface" of the moving plate.

Presuming that the plate's bulk moves uniformly with the given speed then you can sketch velocity vectors along that curve. Use the calculated angles to extract the vertical and horizontal components of your vectors.

That would be my take on the question.

Related to How Do Horizontal and Vertical Movements Differ in Subducted Plates?

What is subduction?

Subduction is a geological process in which one tectonic plate moves beneath another and is forced into the Earth's mantle.

What are the components involved in subduction?

The components involved in subduction are the overriding plate, the subducting plate, the trench, and the subduction zone.

What role do these components play in subduction?

The overriding plate sits on top of the subducting plate and is responsible for the compression and deformation of the subducting plate. The subducting plate is the denser of the two plates and undergoes subduction into the Earth's mantle. The trench marks the surface expression of the subduction zone, where the two plates meet and interact. The subduction zone is where the subducting plate descends into the Earth's mantle and undergoes melting and recycling.

How do subduction components contribute to plate tectonics?

Subduction components play a crucial role in plate tectonics by driving the movement of tectonic plates. The subduction process creates zones of compression and tension, which leads to the formation of new oceanic crust, mountain ranges, and volcanic activity.

What are some examples of subduction components in action?

Examples of subduction components in action include the subduction of the Pacific Plate beneath the North American Plate, which has led to the formation of the Cascade Volcanic Arc in the western United States. The subduction of the Nazca Plate beneath the South American Plate has resulted in the formation of the Andes Mountains in South America.