How do I add directional arrows going counterclockwise on the circle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, to add directional arrows going counterclockwise on a circle in TikZ, use the arc command and specify the start and end angles. The arrow can be specified using the "->" qualifier. To make the arrow exist on the circle, overlap it with the circle's outline. For more artistic options, you can use a loop to create multiple arrows with varying sizes and angles.
Dustinsfl
Code:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0) circle (1cm);
\end{tikzpicture}

How do I add directional arrows going counterclockwise on the circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try something like this:

Code:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw[->, blue, thick] (1.2cm, 0) arc [radius = 1.2cm, start angle= 0, end angle= 70];
\end{tikzpicture}

Note the first coordinate before the arc command is where you'd like the arc to start, not the arc's center. I find this kind of a stupid decision, but that's the way it is. The arrow is specified by -> in the draw qualifiers.

If you want a clockwise arrow, you can have the arc go backwards (or you can use <- instead, <-> gives you bidirectional arrows):

Code:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw[->, blue, thick] (1.2cm, 0) arc [radius = 1.2cm, start angle= 0, end angle= -70];
\end{tikzpicture}

If you want the arrow to exist on the circle, then you can just overlap them:

Code:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw[->] (1cm, 0) arc [radius = 1cm, start angle= 0, end angle= 70];
\end{tikzpicture}

And you can also get artistic (Tongueout):

Code:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\foreach \x in {0.2,0.4,...,4.0} \draw[->, ultra thick, red] (\x + 1, 0) arc [radius = \x + 1, start angle= 0, end angle= 70 + \x * 45];
\end{tikzpicture}

Last edited:

Related to How do I add directional arrows going counterclockwise on the circle?

1. How do I add directional arrows going counterclockwise on the circle?

To add directional arrows going counterclockwise on a circle, you can use the transform property in CSS. Set the transform property to rotate(-90deg) to rotate the arrow counterclockwise.

2. Can I add directional arrows going counterclockwise on the circle using HTML only?

No, you cannot add directional arrows going counterclockwise on a circle using HTML only. You will need to use CSS to rotate the arrow in the desired direction.

3. How can I change the size of the directional arrows on the circle?

To change the size of the directional arrows on the circle, you can use the font-size property in CSS. Increase or decrease the value of font-size to adjust the arrow size.

4. Is it possible to add multiple directional arrows on the circle?

Yes, it is possible to add multiple directional arrows on the circle by using the ::before or ::after pseudo-elements in CSS. Make sure to adjust the positioning and rotation of each arrow to avoid overlapping.

5. How do I position the directional arrows at specific points on the circle?

To position the directional arrows at specific points on the circle, you can use the position property in CSS. Set the position to absolute and use the top, right, bottom, and left properties to adjust the arrow's placement on the circle.