How Do I Apply F=ma to Solve These Physics Problems?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with physics and has questions about using equations to solve problems. They are specifically stuck on finding the average force applied by a baseball on a glove and the g-forces felt by a race car driver. The expert advises using the equation f=ma and the kinematic equation v_{f}^2 = v_{0}^2 + 2ad to solve these problems.
idriveatc
Hey, i been trying to ask all my friends and trying to read the book over and over. I am having problems with physics, its really hard! I have some questions that I am stuck at. I got the basics that F=ma but can someone help me get which equations to use for these questions? Thank you, i have the answers to the questions but i would like to know how to do them thank you again

a 0.140 kg baseball travels at 35 m/s that strikes the catchers mitt that brings the ball to a stop. It recoils backward at 11.0cm. What is the average force applied by the ball on the glove. I used the basic law and found force of the baseball is 4.9N now where do i input the 11cm?

a race car can finish a 402 track in 6.40seconds from rest, how many g's does the driev feel? if combined with mass of the driver and race car is 485kg what horizontal force must the road exert on the tires. I am really stuck on the how many g's does he feel and what force is exert on the tires.

i don't need the answers, just need help on how do i go about analyizing which equations to use for questions. THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question: remember that f=ma. You tried to find a force by multiplying .14kg by 35m/s, which is mass times velocity, not mass times acceleration.

To do f=ma you need to know the mass and the acceleration the ball undergoes. You already know the mass because it's explicity given as .14kg. The acceleration is the tricky part. The ball is traveling toward the mitt at 35 m/s and then, over the course of 11cm (.11m) it is brought to 0 m/s. So what kinematic equation do you know that will give you the acceleration if you know 1) initial velocity, 2) final velocity, and 3) distance moved ?

a=v(initial)-v(final) / distance?

I'd use [tex] v_{f}^2 = v_{0}^2 + 2ad[/tex]

Related to How Do I Apply F=ma to Solve These Physics Problems?

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to the object's mass and acceleration. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you use Newton's Second Law to solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems using Newton's Second Law, you need to identify the variables given in the problem (force, mass, and acceleration) and use the equation F=ma to find the missing variable. Additionally, you may need to use other equations, such as equations for kinetic or potential energy, to fully solve the problem.

3. Can you give an example of solving a Newton's Second Law problem?

Sure! Let's say a 10 kg object is accelerating at 5 m/s^2. What is the net force acting on the object?

To solve this problem, we first identify the given variables: mass (m) = 10 kg and acceleration (a) = 5 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the equation F=ma, we get F = (10 kg)(5 m/s^2) = 50 N. Therefore, the net force acting on the object is 50 Newtons.

4. How does Newton's Second Law relate to real-life situations?

Newton's Second Law can be applied to many real-life situations, such as calculating the force needed to push a cart, the acceleration of a car, or the impact force of a ball hitting a bat. Essentially, it helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in everyday scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's Second Law?

While Newton's Second Law is a fundamental principle in physics, it does have some limitations. It is most accurate for objects moving at low speeds and does not take into account other factors, such as friction and air resistance, which can affect the motion of an object. In certain situations, other laws, such as the laws of thermodynamics, may need to be considered to fully understand the motion of an object.