How do I apply inertial reference frames to a puck's path?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial frames and their application to a specific question. The question involves a person standing in an inertial frame (S) and kicking a frictionless puck due north across the floor. The coordinates of the puck are given as (0, vot) in the first frame and the paths of the puck are described in two other frames (S' and S'') that are either at rest or have constant velocities/accelerations relative to the first frame. The questioner asks for resources to help with similar problems.
esradw
when I read what inertial frames I understand and it make sense but unfortunately when I try to apply what I understood on that question ,I can't illustrate these frames. Please help.

question is that: I am standing on a level floor at the origine of an inertial frame ( S) and kick a frictionles puck due north across the floor.
a) write down x and y coordinates of the puck as functions of time as seen from my inertial frame .
(if I take x and y axes pointing east and north) than I can say that since the net forces on the puck is 0 , the puck will have a constant velosity toward north.
( x,Y ) = ( 0, vot)
b) now consider more observers,the first at rest in a frame (S')that travels constant velocity v due east relative to (S),the second at rest in a frame (S'') that travels with constant acceleration due east relative to (S). Find the ( x`,y`) of the puck and describe the puck`s path as seen from (S').
c) do the same for (S'') which of the frames is inertial ? ( which I know if the frame is accelerating then it is not inertial)

( I think I solved the problem just after I wrote here. )
thanks

How can I do that ? Is thare any resources you know that I can read and maybe see some similar examples ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
esradw said:
How can I do that ? Is thare any resources you know that I can read and maybe see some similar examples ?
Have you looked into the Kinematics chapter of Resnick & Halliday ?

There's a nice Java applet here : http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/viewtopic.php?t=227

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How do I apply inertial reference frames to a puck's path?

What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's laws of motion hold true without the influence of external forces. In other words, an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How do inertial reference frames relate to relativity?

Inertial reference frames are important in the theory of relativity because they serve as a basis for defining the laws of motion and the concept of absolute time. In Einstein's theory of special relativity, the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames.

What is the difference between an inertial reference frame and a non-inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. A non-inertial reference frame is one in which objects appear to accelerate even when no external forces are acting on them, due to the frame's acceleration or rotation.

How are inertial reference frames used in navigation?

Inertial reference frames are used in navigation, particularly in aircraft and spacecraft, to determine position, velocity, and orientation. Inertial navigation systems use gyroscopes and accelerometers to track changes in motion and calculate position relative to an initial reference point.

Can an inertial reference frame be defined on a rotating object?

Yes, an inertial reference frame can be defined on a rotating object as long as the object is not accelerating or experiencing any external forces. This is known as a rotating inertial reference frame, and objects within it will appear to follow curved paths due to the rotation of the frame.