How Do I Calculate Current Density from a 0.51 h Discharge Rate?

In summary, the conversation revolved around setting up initial conditions for an FEA simulation, specifically determining the current density. The current was specified as a constant rate of 0.51 h, and the individual was trying to derive the current from this information. They also discussed a paper that mentioned a discharge rate of 1.1 (microAh) / ((cm^2)*(micrometer)) every 25 seconds, followed by an open circuit for 75 seconds. The individual used this information to calculate a current density of 15840 A/m^2, which they found to be reasonable.
Effort
I am trying to set up intial conditions for an FEA simulation and I need to know the current density. I first need to get the current which is specified as a"constant current of 0.51 h rate." This is a disharge rate. I assumed that the h meant hour. Can I derive the currnet form that information?

Put another way, the paper said that the discharge occurs in steps of 1.1 (microAh) / ((cm^2)*(micrometer)) for 25 seconds and then maintianting an open circuit for 75 seconds. I am assuming this is just saying the 0.51 h rate another way. Can someone explain how I relate the two?

I used the 1.1 (microAh) / [(cm^2)*(micrometer)] to calculate the currnet density in A/m^2 by

[1.1 microAhr / ((10^-2)^2*(10^-6)) ] * [depth=10*10^-3] * [3600sec/hr * 1/25sec.]

= 15840 A/m^2...this seemed kind of high, but I'm not an EE.

Any insights would be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks about right to me at a cursory glance. 15,840 A/m^2 would only put about 80 mA through, say, 10 AWG wire which is rated by the NEC for use on 30 A circuits. So, not all that high, really.

I would first clarify that the units mentioned in the content are not conventional units used in the field of electrical currents. The use of "h rate" and "microAh" is not standard and may require further clarification from the source of the information.

However, assuming that the information provided is correct, it seems that the current density can be derived from the given information. The discharge rate of 0.51 h rate can be converted to a discharge rate of 1.1 (microAh) / ((cm^2)*(micrometer)) for 25 seconds, which means that in 1 hour (3600 seconds), the discharge rate would be 1.1 (microAh) / ((cm^2)*(micrometer)) * (3600 seconds/25 seconds) = 15840 (microAh) / ((cm^2)*(micrometer)).

To convert this to current density, we need to divide by the area and time, which would be (10^-2)^2*(10^-6) cm^2 and 3600 seconds, respectively. This gives us a current density of 15840 (microAh) / ((cm^2)*(micrometer)) / [(10^-2)^2*(10^-6) cm^2 * 3600 seconds] = 1.584 A/m^2.

This calculation seems reasonable, but as mentioned earlier, the units used are not conventional and may require further clarification. It is always important to double check the units and calculations to ensure accuracy in any scientific simulation.

Related to How Do I Calculate Current Density from a 0.51 h Discharge Rate?

1. What is electrical current?

Electrical current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is electrical current calculated?

Electrical current is calculated by dividing the amount of charge that flows through a conductor by the time it takes to flow. This can be represented as I = Q/t, where I is the current, Q is the charge, and t is the time.

3. What is the relationship between electrical current and voltage?

Electrical current and voltage are directly proportional. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

4. What are the different types of electrical current?

The two main types of electrical current are direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction, while AC alternates its direction periodically. Other types of current include pulsating current, which alternates in strength but not direction, and square wave current, which has a constant amplitude and frequency.

5. How is electrical current measured?

Electrical current is measured using a device called an ammeter. It is usually connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of current through the conductor. Ammeters are typically calibrated in amperes and have different ranges to measure different levels of current.