How do I calculate instantaneous velocity?

In summary, to find instantaneous velocity at a specific point, you need to take the derivative of the position equation and plug in the desired point. This derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change at that point.
Michael17
Can anyone please explain to me how to work out instantaneous velocity. I do not understand it and how to apply it. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the position of an insect is given by the equation F(T) = 5T3 - 2T2 - 48 and you want to find the instantaneous velocity at a particular point T = 12 seconds, you must solve for F'(12).

That is, you take the derivative of F(T), which in this case is F'(T) = 15T2 - 4T
and then you get F'(12) = 15(12)2 - 4(12)

The derivative is the slope of the tangent line so it represents the instantaneous rate of change at a particular point.

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

FAQ: How do I calculate instantaneous velocity?

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. It is the speed and direction of an object at a particular instant, rather than an average over a period of time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the position-time graph at a specific point in time. This can be done by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. In other words, instantaneous velocity measures the velocity at a single point, while average velocity measures the overall trend of an object's motion.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive direction. For example, if a car is travelling east and then starts moving west, its instantaneous velocity will be negative.

5. Why is instantaneous velocity important in physics?

Instantaneous velocity is important in physics because it allows us to analyze an object's motion at a specific moment in time. This information can be used to understand the acceleration, position, and velocity of an object, which are all key concepts in the study of motion.

Back