How Do I Calculate Motor Specs for an Inverted Pendulum Project?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help for their Diploma project involving building an inverted pendulum and creating a PID controller with an operational amplifier. The student is unsure about how to calculate the motor specifications and is seeking assistance with formulas and discussions. They also mention considering torque as the most important factor in their project.
Ele38
Hi to everyone.
This is my second dissussion in the forum (it does not exist a presentation section, right? ), and I need your help for my Diploma project.
Since I am studying Electronics&Telecommunications, my idea about that project is to build an inverted pendulum and tomake a PID controller able to stabylize the pendulum.
The base of the project is a Microchip's AN, here's the link http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00964A.pdf
Unlike Microchip engineers, I want to make a PID controller with operational amplifier, I think that is a better project fo my senior year.
Here is my problem.
Reading the AN, there is written that we need a motor which must be able, at least, to accelerate as fast as the pendulum can fall.
I have no idea about how to calculate the motor's specs (torque, rpm, ... ) I have a 120 rpm motor, but I do no think that will be ok for the project.
Does someone can help me? I would need formulas, since I have mathematics at the oral test for the diploma, it could be good to have something to discuss (even if there is a lot of mathematics in the PID :D )
Thank you very much ;)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I thought about something today.
What is really important to me? Torque or rpm? I think torque, since is in N*m I can calculate the Force that the motor applies to the cart and using the formula F=m*a I am able to calculate the acceleration of the cart.
Am I mad or it can work?

FAQ: How Do I Calculate Motor Specs for an Inverted Pendulum Project?

1. What is a motor for an inverted pendulum?

A motor for an inverted pendulum is a type of motor that is used to control the movement of an inverted (upside down) pendulum. It is designed to help stabilize and balance the pendulum in an upright position.

2. How does a motor for an inverted pendulum work?

A motor for an inverted pendulum works by using feedback control to adjust the speed and direction of the motor based on the position of the pendulum. This allows the motor to continuously make small adjustments to keep the pendulum upright.

3. What are the applications of a motor for an inverted pendulum?

A motor for an inverted pendulum has various applications, including in robotics, control systems, and educational demonstrations. It can also be used in stabilization systems for vehicles and ships.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a motor for an inverted pendulum?

When choosing a motor for an inverted pendulum, factors such as torque, speed, and precision should be considered. The motor should also be able to handle the weight and size of the pendulum, and have the necessary control capabilities.

5. Are there different types of motors that can be used for an inverted pendulum?

Yes, there are different types of motors that can be used for an inverted pendulum, such as DC motors, servo motors, and stepper motors. The type of motor used will depend on the specific application and requirements.

Back