How do I calculate percentage increase for ratios in math homework?

• Thread starter asmalik12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, for the first question, the paper is increased by 25%. For the second question, the ratio of alloy to lead is 133.33%. However, there may be confusion in the presentation of the problem as the ratio is given as 5:7:3, which may be referring to the ratio of copper to other alloy to lead. In this case, the ratio of alloy to lead would be closer to 2.33:1.
asmalik12

Homework Statement

1. A photocpier increases the paper with the ratio 4:5, what % is the paper increased
2. An alloay has a copper, alloy and lead with the ratio 5:7:3, what % is the alloy to lead

2. The attempt at a solution

1. Difference in equation = 5 - 4 = 1
= 1/4 * 100
= 25 %

2. Difference between the ratio of alloy and lead = 7 - 3 = 4
= 4/7 * 100
= 57.14 %

Am I doing it rightly?

Physics news on Phys.org

asmalik12 said:

Homework Statement

1. A photocpier increases the paper with the ratio 4:5, what % is the paper increased
2. An alloay has a copper, alloy and lead with the ratio 5:7:3, what % is the alloy to lead

2. The attempt at a solution

1. Difference in equation = 5 - 4 = 1
= 1/4 * 100
= 25 %
Yes, this is correct.
asmalik12 said:
2. Difference between the ratio of alloy and lead = 7 - 3 = 4
= 4/7 * 100
= 57.14 %

Am I doing it rightly?
No. There are 7 parts alloy to 3 parts lead, so there is about 2.33 times as much alloy as lead.

For Question No. 2

Difference in the ratio of alloy to lead = 7 - 3 = 4
= 4/3 * 100
= 133.33 %

Now ?

For question number two - are there 3 parts that you are comparing the 1 part to? Why does the problem refer to alloy as both the whole and a part? (I'm wondering if part of the confusion is in the presentation of the problem)

If the ratio is: ALLOY = Copper:OtherALLOY:Lead then I second Mark44's solution.

FAQ: How do I calculate percentage increase for ratios in math homework?

1. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison between two quantities. It shows the relationship between these quantities in terms of how many times one quantity is contained within the other.

2. How do I simplify ratios?

To simplify ratios, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the two numbers in the ratio. Then, divide both numbers by the GCF to get the simplified ratio.

3. What is the difference between a ratio and a proportion?

A ratio compares two quantities, while a proportion compares two equal ratios. In other words, a proportion is an equation stating that two ratios are equal.

4. How do I solve word problems involving ratios?

To solve word problems involving ratios, you need to first identify the quantities being compared and set up a ratio equation. Then, use cross multiplication to solve for the missing value.

5. What are some real-life applications of ratios?

Ratios are used in many real-life situations, such as cooking (measuring ingredients), finance (calculating interest rates), and sports (calculating win-loss ratios). They are also used in scientific experiments, such as determining the ratio of ingredients in a chemical reaction.

Back