How Do I Calculate the Average Force Exerted on Bicycle Pedals?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the work done by a cyclist on a 7.90° hill with a vertical height of 118 m. This is done using the formula mgh=83345.76 J. The second part of the problem involves calculating the average force needed to move the pedals of the bike, given that each revolution moves the bike 5.03 m along its path. This can be found by considering the change in potential energy and using the definition of work.
Liatana
What do i need to know to solve this:(please help me, thanks!)

First they ask me:
a-) A cyclist intends to cycle up a 7.90° hill whose vertical height is 118 m. Assuming the mass of bicycle plus person is 72.0 kg, calculate how much work must be done against gravity.

Which i found was m*g*h(height)= 83345.76 J

What i can't solve is:

b-) If each complete revolution of the pedals moves the bike 5.03 m along its path, calculate the average force that must be exerted on the pedals tangent to their circular path. Neglect work done by friction and other losses. The pedals turn in a circle of diameter 35.6 cm.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use energy conservation:

how much energy did the bicycle gain after one revolution of the pedals?

if this energy all comes from the work the cyclist does, what would be the distance the feet of the cyclist travel? according to the definition of work, what would be the average force then?

i still don't get it!

Liatana said:
i still don't get it!
All the work done by the cyclist was converted to potential energy. The mgh result you found can be computed as mgh, or it can be computed as the component of force acting parallel to the incline times the distance moved parallel to the incline. Each revolution of the pedal wheel corresponds to the given distance up the incline. That raises the bicycle to a new height and changes its PE by an amount you can calculate given the distance and the angle. The cyclist must do work equal to that change in PE by forcing the pedals to move. Since you know the amount of work, and are given the invormation needed to figure out how far a pedal has to be moved, you can calculate the average force that must be applied to move the pedals.

Related to How Do I Calculate the Average Force Exerted on Bicycle Pedals?

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. In simple terms, force is what causes an object to accelerate or move.

What is work?

Work is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Work is a scalar quantity, which means it only has magnitude and no direction.

What is tangency?

Tangency is a mathematical concept that describes the point where a curve or surface touches a straight line or another curve or surface. In physics, tangency is often used to describe the point where two objects come into contact, such as a ball bouncing off a wall.

How are force and work related?

Force and work are directly related. Whenever a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force, work is being done. The amount of work done is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

How does tangency relate to force and work?

In physics, tangency is often used to describe the point where two objects come into contact, such as a ball bouncing off a wall. In these cases, the force of the impact and the work done by that force can be calculated using principles of tangency and the laws of motion.