How Do I Calculate the Dynamical Matrix for a Crystal with a Pair Potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a dynamical matrix for a crystal with a pair potential. There are two methods, using second derivatives or numerical computation, but both encounter issues when the atoms are equal. The conversation also mentions a pair potential with N*(N-1) terms and the derivation of a general form of a dynamical matrix for a lattice with more than one atom.
aihaike
Dear all,

I'm trying to compute the dynamical matrix of a crystal with a pair potential.
One way would be to use the second derivatives of the potential, and an other is to compute it numerically.
Well, in both cases, I get troubles where atom i equal atom j.
Is there something I haven't get yet?
I go through each atoms (i=1,N) and for each pairs I go through each coordinates (x,y,z). But in the analytical expressions of the derevatives there is always 1/r which diverge when r=0.
Numerically I face to the same problem ...
Any advices?
Thanks in advance,

Eric.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume your pair potential has the form:

[tex]V(r_1,...,r_N) = \frac12 \sum_{i \neq j} \phi(|r_i - r_j|)[/tex]

That has N*(N-1) terms in it. When you take the first derivative wrt to a single coordinate, than you end up with N-1 terms. Then you have two different outcomes depending on whether your second derivative is taken with respect to the same coordinate as the first one or not. If it is, then you still have N-1 terms, like:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial r_i^2} = \sum_{j} \left. \frac{\partial^2 \phi(r)}{\partial r^2} \right|_{|r_i-r_j|}[/tex]

where the sum over j excludes the j=i term.

Hi Kanato,

thanks it's clear.
I think I have to sum over 2 different cells to not exclude terms i=j.

Eric.

Dear All,
Can some one help me derive a general form of dynamical matrix for lattice more than one atom?
Many thanks in advance,
Sundar

Related to How Do I Calculate the Dynamical Matrix for a Crystal with a Pair Potential?

What is a dynamical matrix calculation?

A dynamical matrix calculation is a mathematical method used to study the vibrational properties of a crystal lattice. It involves calculating the force constants between atoms in a unit cell and using them to determine the frequencies and modes of vibration of the crystal.

Why is the dynamical matrix calculation important?

The dynamical matrix calculation is important because it provides a detailed understanding of the vibrational properties of materials. This is crucial for studying the thermal, mechanical, and electronic properties of materials, as well as for designing new materials with specific properties.

How is the dynamical matrix calculation performed?

The dynamical matrix calculation involves solving the equations of motion for each atom in the crystal lattice, taking into account the forces between neighboring atoms. This is typically done using computer simulations and can be quite complex, as it requires considering the interactions between all atoms within the unit cell.

What are some applications of the dynamical matrix calculation?

The dynamical matrix calculation has numerous applications in materials science, including the study of phonons (quantized lattice vibrations), thermal conductivity, phase transitions, and crystal growth. It is also used in the design of new materials for specific purposes, such as thermoelectric materials for energy conversion.

What are the limitations of the dynamical matrix calculation?

The dynamical matrix calculation relies on certain assumptions, such as the harmonic approximation, which may not be accurate for all materials. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive, making it difficult to apply to large systems. Finally, it may not take into account all types of interactions, such as anharmonic effects, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

Back