How do I calculate the force applied to a tennis ball when it is hit by Pete?

• Thread starter jrbillbrian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, Pete applies a force of 72.4 newtons to the tennis ball when it is traveling at a speed of 56.3 meters per second.
jrbillbrian

Homework Statement

Pete serves a tennis ball of mass 54 grams at a speed of 53.6 meters per second. The ball is in contact with Pete's racket through a distance of 49.7 centimeters. What force does Pete apply to the ball?

54 grams = 0.054 kg
Speed = 53.6 m/s
49.7 cm = 0.0497 m

Homework Equations

Force = mass x acceleration
Vfinal = at + vi

The Attempt at a Solution

I am VERY lost, considering the fact that our teacher told us to try and figure it any way we could.

I tried this. 0.0497 m = 0.5(53.6 m/s) * t2
t = 0.0420183500 s

Then I thought of the statement
It takes 0.0420183500 seconds to travel 0.0497 m when traveling at 53.6 m/s

Then I tried Vfinal = a*t + Vinitial
56.3 m/s = a * 0.0420183500 s

a = 1339.890784 m/s2

Force = 0.054 kg * 1339.890784 m/s/s
Force = 72.4 N

Can anyone help me out with this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given the distance over which the force was applied, you should probably use an equation that has distance.

The way I read this question, you are given the following:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = .497m
vi = 0 (<-- not given, but I'm assuming the ball wasn't moving until he hit it)
vf = 53.6 m/s

You are trying to find acceleration.

Find an equation that has [tex]\Delta[/tex]x, vi, vf, and a in it, and solve for a.

Once you find acceleration, you can use the F = ma equation to find the force.

Does this make sense?

Yes, what you are suggesting seems to make sense. I will try it and let you know if I figure it out. Thanks

Thanks! I got it. One major and obvious problem that I discovered was the fact that I converted it to 0.0497 m rather than 0.497. I ended up using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a * delta x
I solved for 156 Newtons. Thanks

jrbillbrian said:
I solved for 156 Newtons. Thanks

That's the same answer I got too. Good job! Glad to help!

Related to How do I calculate the force applied to a tennis ball when it is hit by Pete?

1. What are the four basic forces of nature?

The four basic forces of nature are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How do these forces interact with each other?

Gravity is the weakest force but acts over long distances, while the strong nuclear force is the strongest but only acts over very short distances. Electromagnetism and weak nuclear force have intermediate strength and act over different ranges. All four forces interact with matter in different ways and can sometimes work together or against each other.

3. How were these forces discovered?

Gravity was first described by Isaac Newton in the 17th century, while electromagnetism was discovered by Michael Faraday and James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. The strong and weak nuclear forces were discovered in the 20th century through experiments in particle physics.

4. How do these forces affect our daily lives?

Gravity keeps us grounded on Earth and determines the motion of objects in the universe. Electromagnetism is responsible for electricity, magnetism, and the interaction between particles. The strong and weak nuclear forces hold atoms together and play a role in nuclear reactions.

5. Are there any other forces that exist besides the four basic forces?

There are some proposed theories that suggest the existence of additional forces, such as the fifth force or dark energy. However, these theories have not been widely accepted or proven, and the four basic forces remain the most well-established and understood forces in nature.