How do I calculate the heat transfer coefficient for pipe heat loss in Excel?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a spreadsheet to calculate heat loss through a pipe, using the resistive analogy method. The only problem is determining the heat transfer coefficient, for which the person has all the necessary information including pipe diameter, thickness, temperatures, and insulation specifications. A potential solution is provided by Travis_king in the form of a Wikipedia link to the "Heat transfer coefficient of pipe wall" section.
evol1
Hi there,
I am trying to make a spreadsheet which calculates the heat loss through a pipe and also heat loss when insulated, I am using the resistive analogy to calculate this and I have it working, the only problem I am having is the heat transfer coefficient, how do I calculate this?

I know the pipe diameter, thickness, K value, temperatures inside and ambient and the insulation thickness, k value and diameters.

it is just for general use, to get an estimate and save time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Brilliant, thanks Travis_king

Related to How do I calculate the heat transfer coefficient for pipe heat loss in Excel?

1. How do I calculate heat loss through pipes using Excel?

To calculate heat loss through pipes using Excel, you will need to use the appropriate equations and formulas for heat transfer. These include the heat transfer coefficient, surface area, and temperature difference between the pipe and the surrounding environment. You can also use built-in functions in Excel, such as the "Hconv" function, to simplify the calculations.

2. Can Excel be used to predict heat loss through pipes?

Yes, Excel can be used to predict heat loss through pipes by inputting the necessary variables, such as pipe dimensions, material properties, and temperature differences, into the appropriate equations and formulas. However, it is important to note that these predictions may have some level of error and should be verified through experimental data.

3. What factors affect heat loss through pipes?

There are several factors that can affect heat loss through pipes, including the material and thickness of the pipe, the temperature difference between the pipe and the surrounding environment, the insulation of the pipe, and the flow rate of the fluid inside the pipe. Other factors, such as wind speed and ambient temperature, can also have an impact.

4. Can I use Excel to compare different pipe insulation materials?

Yes, Excel can be used to compare different pipe insulation materials by creating a spreadsheet that calculates the heat loss for each material and then comparing the results. You can also use Excel to create a graph or chart to visually compare the heat loss of different materials.

5. How accurate are the results of heat loss calculations in Excel?

The accuracy of heat loss calculations in Excel depends on several factors, such as the accuracy of the input variables, the complexity of the calculations, and the limitations of the equations and formulas being used. It is important to validate the results with experimental data and make any necessary adjustments to improve accuracy.