How do I calculate the height of a bridge using one dimension?

• Thread starter fandomgeek_394
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, a woman drops a rock off a bridge and it takes 2.3 seconds for it to hit the water below. The bridge is 5.3 meters tall.
fandomgeek_394

Homework Statement

The question says this: Use one dimension to solve the problem.
A woman drops a rock off a bridge (0=270 degrees-- wasn't sure how to type the line through the zero, sorry!) and it takes 2.3 seconds for the rock to hit the water below. How tall is the bridge?

Homework Equations

Delta x=Vot+one half at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have this written out:
Delta x=Vot+one half at^2
Delta x=(0)*(2.3 sec) plus one half times (-9.8 m/sec^2) times (2.3)^2
Delta x= one half times (-9.8 m/sec^2) times (5.3 sec^2) ((the sec^2 is slashed out))
Delta x=26 m
I then made the 26 negative, as I read it needs to be.

When I was working the problem, I wasn't sure what to do with the 0=270 degrees portion. I'd like to know if I did this correctly, and if not, what I did incorrectly/what the fix for it is. Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
fandomgeek_394 said:
I wasn't sure what to do with the 0=270 degrees
Neither do I. What does it mean?
fandomgeek_394 said:
I then made the 26 negative,
Why? It asks how tall the bridge is. That cannot be negative.
fandomgeek_394 said:
5.3 sec
Is that a typo?

Yes, it is a typo. And I realized the negative thing a bit ago; at the time when I posted that I had misunderstood something I read, so I have 26m marked down.

fandomgeek_394 said:
Yes, it is a typo. And I realized the negative thing a bit ago; at the time when I posted that I had misunderstood something I read, so I have 26m marked down.
Assuming the 270 degrees means horizontal, 26m is right.

fandomgeek_394 said:
(0=270 degrees-- wasn't sure how to type the line through the zero, sorry!)

If you click on the ##\Sigma## icon in the edit window top tool bar, a menu of special characters and symbols will be presented from which you can select your zero with a line, otherwise know as the Greek letter theta: θ :smile:

haruspex said:
Assuming the 270 degrees means horizontal, 26m is right.
##\theta=270^\circ## is more consistent with the term "dropping" in the exercise text, i.e. straight down ... :smile:

BvU said:
##\theta=270^\circ## is more consistent with the term "dropping" in the exercise text, i.e. straight down ... :smile:
Yes, of course!

Thanks, everyone. :)

Related to How do I calculate the height of a bridge using one dimension?

1. How is the height of a bridge measured?

The height of a bridge is typically measured in two ways: absolute height and relative height. Absolute height refers to the vertical distance from the bridge deck to the ground below, while relative height refers to the distance from the bridge deck to the highest point of the bridge's structure.

2. What is the tallest bridge in the world?

As of 2020, the tallest bridge in the world is the Duge Bridge in China, with a height of 1,854 feet (565 meters).

3. How does the height of a bridge affect its stability?

The height of a bridge can greatly affect its stability, as taller bridges are more susceptible to strong winds and seismic activity. Engineers must take into account the height and potential forces acting on a bridge when designing it to ensure its stability.

4. How do engineers determine the necessary height for a bridge?

Engineers use a variety of factors to determine the necessary height for a bridge, such as the width of the body of water it needs to span, the potential for flooding, and the height of any boats or ships that need to pass underneath. They also consider the type of bridge, such as a suspension or arch bridge, and its overall structural design.

5. How much taller can bridges be constructed in the future?

The height of bridges will continue to increase as technology and engineering advancements allow for taller and more stable structures. However, there are limits to how tall a bridge can be built, as factors such as cost, materials, and environmental impact must also be taken into consideration.