How Do I Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Blower Shaft?

In summary, to calculate the moment of inertia of a blower about a shaft, you need to break it into individual parts, calculate their MOIs, and sum them.
Zarathuztra
I have a blower within a system, and I'm trying to calculate the system inertia. I'd like to get the moment of inertia for this component as would be seen by the shaft. It's shape has me a little stumped (considered perpendicular axis theorem) on what method to use for finding the inertia. Any direction to help get me started would be much appreciated. See the image attached.
Blower.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Moments of inertia about a common axis can just be added together . So break the component into individual parts , calculate their individual moments of inertia about the central axis and sum them . The symmetry of the component can be used to reduce the amount of calculation necessary .

Likes Zarathuztra
OR you can take the easy route. Get, or create a reasonably-accurate copy, of the CAD model. Assign a material density to the model components. Use the mass properties function of the CAD package to determine the MMO about any arbitrary axis.

Looks to me like you need to break this into 8 parts: 6 blades, 1 back plate, 1 central hub, and then calculate the MMOI for each one about its own CM. Then use the parallel axis theorem to transfer to the common axis of rotation.

+1.

I'd start with an individual blade.

1) divide a blade it into standard shapes like this...

Blade.jpg

2)Then look up the equations on this page..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_second_moments_of_area
for the "area moment of inertia" of each shape about an edge or centre of area (edge probably easier).
3)Then multiply by the area density to convert it to mass moment of inertia.
4)Then apply the parallel axis theory to modify each equation to "move" the axis of rotation from the edge in 2) to the axis of the fan.
5)Then multiply by the number of blades.
6) Then add the MOI of the other parts like the hub and base (which are easier to calculate or at least find equations for.)

Edit: An alternative would be to calculate the MOI for a rectangular blade and subtract the MOI of the "missing" triangle (after applying the parallel axis theory).

Related to How Do I Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Blower Shaft?

What is "Moment of Inertia" for a blower?

The moment of inertia for a blower is a measurement of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, where objects with larger moment of inertia require more force to accelerate.

Why is the moment of inertia important for a blower?

The moment of inertia is important for a blower because it affects the blower's ability to start and stop quickly, as well as its overall efficiency and power consumption. A blower with a lower moment of inertia will be more responsive and use less energy.

How is the moment of inertia calculated for a blower?

The moment of inertia for a blower is calculated by multiplying the mass of the blower by the square of the distance from its axis of rotation to its center of mass. This value can also be affected by the shape and distribution of the blower's mass.

What factors can affect the moment of inertia for a blower?

The primary factors that can affect the moment of inertia for a blower are its mass and the distribution of that mass. The shape and size of the blower can also play a role, as well as any external forces acting on the blower.

How can the moment of inertia be reduced for a blower?

The moment of inertia for a blower can be reduced by decreasing its mass, placing the mass closer to the axis of rotation, or changing the shape of the blower to distribute the mass more evenly. This can result in a more efficient and responsive blower.