How do I calculate the necessary speed and direction for a plane to offset wind?

In summary, the pilot needs to fly at a speed of 652.64km/hr at an angle of 30 degrees to offset the effect of the westward wind blowing at 60km/hr. The formula for relative velocity was used to calculate this.
Charles C
I know that this should be simple, but I really can't find out how to do this:
A pilot needs to fly at 600km/hr on a bearing of 240 degrees to be on time and on course. A wind is blowing from the west at 60km/hr. In what direction and at what speed should she fly her plane to offset the effect of the wind?

One question I have is when it says "on a bearing of 240 degrees", do you count clockwise or counterclockwise?

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Eh, I think I posted in the wrong area, feel free to to move this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bearings are generally given as the angle that is measured clockwise from north. Now you can use the formula for relative velocity.

Could you explain the diagram?

the speed of the plane is 600, so 600sin30 is 300 and 600cos30 is 519.6. The wind coming from the west is 60, so to compensate for that, I add the 60 to the 300 and get 360. Then I use the Pythagorean theorem to get 632.
Actually, I think I may have done it wrong cause I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to get a different angle.

You have to compenste by adding 60 to 600*cos 30. Then you'll get the correct answer.

Shooting star said:
You have to compenste by adding 60 to 600*cos 30. Then you'll get the correct answer.
So it would be 652.64 with theta=30?

I'm leaving that to you. You know how to multiply. I have to do something now.

Quite correct. Now find the angle in which the plane has to go.

Related to How do I calculate the necessary speed and direction for a plane to offset wind?

1. What is the difference between speed and direction?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object moves, while direction refers to the path or angle of the object's movement.

2. How do you measure speed and direction?

Speed can be measured using a speedometer or by calculating the distance an object travels over a certain amount of time. Direction can be measured using a compass or by noting the angle of the object's movement in relation to a reference point.

3. Can an object have different speeds and directions at the same time?

Yes, an object can have different speeds and directions at the same time. For example, a car can be moving at a constant speed in a straight line, while also turning in a different direction.

4. How does speed and direction affect an object's motion?

Speed and direction are two important factors that determine an object's motion. The greater the speed, the faster the object will move, and the direction will determine where the object is headed.

5. How can an object's speed and direction change?

An object's speed and direction can change due to various factors such as external forces like gravity or friction, or internal forces like an engine's power. Objects can also change direction by colliding with other objects or by being influenced by forces like wind or water currents.