How do I calculate the radius of bound states for muonic hydrogen?

In summary, the student is struggling with calculating the radius and binding energy of muonic hydrogen. They tried rearranging a formula to make the radius the focus but were unsure of its accuracy. They also have equations for expectation values but are unsure of how to apply them. They are seeking advice for applying the concepts to other situations involving hydrogen atoms.
Ewok

Homework Statement

Hi I'm having difficulty in understanding how to calculate the radius for certain situations.

for example, I have a question that asks me to calculate the radius and binding energy of muonic hydrogen.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my first instincts were to use and re-arrange the following formula
(Me v^2)/r = (e^2)/(4pi(r^2) epsilon)

re-arranging this to make r the focus and simply multiplying the electron mass by 207 to make it the muon mass.

I don't think this is correct however - seems a bit of a flaky way of doing it.

I do also have equations for the expectation values - which I presume to be the expected values for the location of the muon (and hence possibly the radius), but I'm unsure of how to apply these to the question.

I also have to apply this to other situations other than a straight hydrogen atom, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For "hydrogenic" atoms, you can look at how the mass of the electron came into the Bohr radius estimation, and replace with the muon...but you might notice that the analysis used the fact that the mass of the electron is much less than the proton's, so the orbital motion could be approximated by a fixed center and an electron in circular motion. Since a muon is a much heavier version of an electron, it is better to describe the muon and proton as orbiting about each other, and you use a "reduced mass".

Related to How do I calculate the radius of bound states for muonic hydrogen?

1. What is the definition of the radius of bound states (Bohr)?

The radius of bound states, also known as the Bohr radius, is a measure of the average distance between the nucleus and the electron in an atom or molecule.

2. How is the radius of bound states (Bohr) calculated?

The radius of bound states is calculated using the Bohr model of the atom, which takes into account the energy levels and angular momentum of the electron in an atom. It is calculated using the formula r = n²a₀, where n is the principal quantum number and a₀ is the Bohr radius constant.

3. What is the significance of the radius of bound states (Bohr)?

The radius of bound states is significant because it helps us understand the size and structure of atoms and molecules. It is also important in determining the energy levels and stability of these particles.

4. How does the radius of bound states (Bohr) change with different atoms?

The radius of bound states varies depending on the type of atom or molecule. It is smaller for heavier atoms with more protons in the nucleus, and larger for lighter atoms with fewer protons.

5. Can the radius of bound states (Bohr) be measured experimentally?

Yes, the radius of bound states can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or spectroscopy. These methods allow us to indirectly measure the distance between the nucleus and electron in an atom.