How do I calculate the time taken for an element to decay from one mass to another?

In summary, the half-life of 24Na is 234 hours and the decay constant is 8.23x10-7. To determine the time it takes for a 5μg sample to contain 1μg of undecayed atoms, the formula N = N0e-λt is used and rearranged to solve for t. The final answer is approximately 543.241 hours.
kkid
TA sample of 24Na has a half-life of 234 hours, How much time elapses before a 5μg sample contains 1μg of undecayed atoms?

I have calculate the decay constant (8.23x10-7)

What do I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org

kkid said:
TA sample of 24Na has a half-life of 234 hours, How much time elapses before a 5μg sample contains 1μg of undecayed atoms?

I have calculate the decay constant (8.23x10-7)

What do I do now?
Hello kkid. Welcome to PF !

What's the formula for radioactive decay?

I eventually did this by altering this equation:

N = N0e-λt

if one divides by N0 then the left hand side is just a faction of the start and end amounts (whether this is in terms of amount of atoms or in terms of mass it will be the same.

In this case the left hand side of the equation (the fraction) will be 1/5 as 1 is 1/5 of 5.

This gives me 1/5 = e-λt

taking ln of both sides to eliminate e gives:

ln(1/5) = -λt

t = ln(1/5)/-λ

I substitute the value of decay constant (λ) to get my overall answer of 543.241 hours

Is this correct?
(It took me about 3 hours to get this)

kkid said:
I eventually did this by altering this equation:

N = N0e-λt

if one divides by N0 then the left hand side is just a faction of the start and end amounts (whether this is in terms of amount of atoms or in terms of mass it will be the same.

In this case the left hand side of the equation (the fraction) will be 1/5 as 1 is 1/5 of 5.

This gives me 1/5 = e-λt

taking ln of both sides to eliminate e gives:

ln(1/5) = -λt

t = ln(1/5)/-λ

I substitute the value of decay constant (λ) to get my overall answer of 543.241 hours

Is this correct?
(It took me about 3 hours to get this)
Yes, that's correct.

Without rounding until the final answer, I get t1/5 = 543.331 hours .

To calculate the time taken for an element to decay from one mass to another, you can use the decay constant and the half-life of the element. The decay constant, denoted by λ, represents the rate at which the element decays. It is equal to ln(2)/t1/2, where t1/2 is the half-life of the element.

In this case, the decay constant for 24Na is 8.23x10^-7. Now, to determine the time taken for the sample to contain 1μg of undecayed atoms, we can use the following equation:

N(t) = N0e^-λt

Where N(t) is the amount of undecayed atoms at time t, N0 is the initial amount of undecayed atoms, and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

Plugging in the values, we get:

1μg = 5μg * e^-8.23x10^-7 * t

Solving for t, we get:

t = ln(1/5) / -8.23x10^-7 ≈ 265.5 hours

Therefore, it would take approximately 265.5 hours for a 5μg sample of 24Na to contain 1μg of undecayed atoms.

Related to How do I calculate the time taken for an element to decay from one mass to another?

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process in which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy and particles to become a more stable nucleus.

What is the half-life of an element?

The half-life of an element is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample of that element to decay into a more stable form.

How do I calculate the time taken for an element to decay from one mass to another?

To calculate the time taken for an element to decay from one mass to another, you can use the formula t = (ln(N/N0)) / λ, where t is time, N is the final mass, N0 is the initial mass, and λ is the decay constant.

What is the decay constant?

The decay constant is a measure of how quickly a radioactive element decays. It is denoted by the symbol λ and is a characteristic of each individual radioactive element.

Can the time taken for an element to decay be predicted accurately?

Yes, the time taken for an element to decay can be predicted accurately using mathematical models and calculations based on the half-life and decay constant of the element. However, it is important to note that these predictions are based on statistical probabilities and may vary for individual atoms.