How do I calculate the trajectory of a thrown ball onto a roof?

In summary, a ball is thrown from the ground onto a roof of height 15 meters from a distance of 7 meters away. The maximum height of the ball's trajectory is 4 meters above the top of the roof. To find the required initial vertical component of the velocity, Vy, use the relation Vy = v x sin(angle). For the time for the ball to reach maximum height, use the equation y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2*g*t^2 and solve for t. To find the time for the ball to fall from the maximum height to the rooftop, use the equation y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2*g*t^2 and solve for t,
wolves5
A ball is thrown from the ground onto a roof of height yroof = 15 m from a distance of x = 7 meters away as shown in the diagram to the left. The maximum height of the ball's trajectory is ymax = 4 meters above the top of the roof.

(a) Find the required initial vertical component of the velocity, Vy.

Since there's no angle, I don't know how to approach it. Usually, I would just do velocity x sin(angle) to get the answer.

(b) Find the time for the ball to reach maximum height.
(c) Find the time for the ball to fall from the maximum height to the rooftop.

(d) Find the initial horizontal component of the velocity.
I have the same problem that is similar to a. I don't know how to approach it without an angle value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write up the relations between x, y, vx, vy, angle, and time, see what you know and solve for the unknowns.

ehild

This doesn't help me. I'm still confused. I just don't know how to start it.

Actually, I got parts a and b. For a, I got 19.31 m/s. For b, I got 1.968 seconds. How do I approach c and d. I don't know which equations to use.

c. You know the displacement from the highest point of trajectory to the roof. It is free fall. Find time.

d. You know the horizontal distance. In the horizontal direction, the velocity is constant. Use the whole time of flight to get the velocity.

ehild

FAQ: How do I calculate the trajectory of a thrown ball onto a roof?

1. What are projectiles on a building?

Projectiles on a building refer to any object that is launched or thrown at a building, such as a bullet, rock, or even a water balloon.

2. What causes projectiles to hit buildings?

Projectiles hit buildings either by being deliberately aimed or by being affected by external forces such as wind or gravity.

3. How can projectiles damage a building?

Depending on the size and speed of the projectile, it can cause various types of damage to a building, including cracks, dents, or even structural collapse.

4. How do scientists study projectiles on buildings?

Scientists study projectiles on buildings through experiments, simulations, and mathematical models to understand the effects of different types of projectiles on different types of buildings.

5. Can projectiles be used to strengthen buildings?

Yes, projectiles can be used to strengthen buildings by mimicking natural forces and stressors, such as earthquakes and winds, to test and improve the building's structural integrity.