How do I choose the area of integration?

In summary: The integral is the sum of the inverse of each function multiplied by its inverse.In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the inverse of each function.
math_04

Homework Statement

Consider the integral shown in the sketch. Sketch the region of integration and express the integral with the reverse order of integration and evaluate it leaving your answer in surd form

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I shaded the area of integration but I am not sure whether it is the right area. How do I know which area of integration to use? And secondly, when you choose your x limits, do you draw a horizontal line that passes through the y- axis and through the sketched functions? Likewise when you choose your y limits, do you draw a vertical line that passes through the x-axis and through the sketched functions? Also just wondering whether the shaded area is only half of the region to integrate? Maybe I could only integrate that half area and double the answer?

Attachments

• integral sketch.JPG
    integral sketch.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Please try to improve sketches of problems.

I think the double integral is

[tex]\int^1_0\,\int^1_{\sqrt{x}}\,\sqrt{1+y^3}\,dy dx[/tex]

Ok,

draw a straight line parallel to y-axis that goes through your currently shaded region.

now, they are saying that y limits from going from sqrt(x) to 1

so, pick the starting point on the vertical line and the ending point.\
This would help you pick the right area.

Your thing is wrong!

Astronuc, yea that is the right integral. But now, i don't know whether my shaded region is the right one?

Oh and rootX, don't u find out the limits after you know which area to integrate under?

math_04 said:
Oh and rootX, don't u find out the limits after you know which area to integrate under?

Limits are given. Those dy goes from sqrt(x) to 1 and dx from 0 to 1

More correctly, y goes from sqrt(x) to 1 and x goes from 0 to 1.

Now, the two graphs, y= sqrt(x) (or x= y^2) and x= 1 intersect at (0,0) and (1,1).

If you integrate with respect to x first and then y, the limits of integration on y must be numbers. What values does y go between? In other words, what are the smallest and largest values of y? Those are the limits of integration on y.

Now, for each y (draw a horizontal line on your graph), what values of y does x lie between (the lower and upper limits for x may be functions of y).

Related to How do I choose the area of integration?

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume between a surface and a plane. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and is used to integrate a function with two variables over a certain region.

How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve on a two-dimensional plane, while a double integral is used to find the volume between a surface and a plane in a three-dimensional space. Double integrals require two sets of limits and two variables, while single integrals only require one set of limits and one variable.

What is the purpose of using a double integral?

A double integral is used to solve problems involving finding the volume of a three-dimensional object, such as a solid of revolution or a 3D shape. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving finding the mass, center of mass, or average value of a function.

What are the different types of double integrals?

There are two types of double integrals: iterated integrals and double integrals over a region. Iterated integrals involve solving two single integrals in succession, while double integrals over a region involve integrating a function over a specific region in the x-y plane.

How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can use various integration techniques such as u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, or integration by parts to evaluate the integral. It is important to carefully set up the integral and follow the correct order of integration.

Back