"How do I compute the Taylor series for cos(7x^2) at x=0?

In summary: You just divide by x^2 to get the derivatives.Sorry, I'm not very good with algebra.I don't think you need to worry about it. Just multiply the x^2 by sin(x) to get the derivatives.Oh, okay.
cathy
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Determine the Taylor series for the function below at x=0 by computing P 5 (x)
f(x)=cos(7x^2)

Homework Equations

I used to taylor series for cosx and replaced it with 7x^2
so i used 1-49x^4/2! +2401x^8/4!... and so on.
That should be correct, my attempt below :(

The Attempt at a Solution

1-(49x^4/2)+(2401x^8/24)-(117649x^12/720)+7^8x^16/40320
I even tried it by adding one more
7^10(x^18)/10!
Can someone tell me where I went wrong? It's nothing with the formatting because entering it like this into my homework showed a preview and it showed up like it should have :( what did I do wrong? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I know we're not supposed to upload pictures of the answers, but I uploaded mines. If someone would look at it and see it its correct? IT's attached in the thumbnailhttps://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/68644

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably too many terms. The problem asked you to find the fifth-degree Taylor polynomial, right?

i tried taking out one or two terms.still didnt work :/

What's the highest power of ##x## that should appear (in principle)?

Shouldnt it be 20?
because that would be where n=5

No. Suppose you didn't know about the Maclaurin series for cos x and just did the problem the hard way by calculating derivatives of f. How many derivatives would you have to take to calculate ##P_5(x)##? Surely not 20.

5 derivatives

but i tried taking out one term, and that didnt work.

cathy said:
5 derivatives
Right. So what would be the power of ##x## in the highest-order term?

would it be 5?

Exactly. The problem asked for a fifth-degree polynomial, so the highest-power should be ##x^5##, so throw out any terms with a higher power of ##x##.

Likes 1 person
Oh! so, if it asks for a certain polynomial, the power can't be higher than what they're asking for? That P(5) refers to the power, and not the term?

Thank you:)

Right. For ##P_5(x)##, you can have up to 6 terms, but if some vanish, you'll have fewer.

Likes 1 person
If I had a function asking the same thing as above but the function was 4+15x+x^2sinx, how would I fin a taylor series for this? Would I have to expand out the x^2sinx? What would I do with the 4 and the 15x? I know if I expand out the x^2sinx, I would multiply them to each other, but where would the 4 and 15 x come into play?

Actually, how would i make expand the x^2*sin(x)?
I know that sinx x trend is x- x^3/3! + x^5/5!
How do I do the x^2? Since the derivatives are 2x and 2? I plug in 0?

Last edited:
Oh actually, that was silly. I got it.

Related to "How do I compute the Taylor series for cos(7x^2) at x=0?

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is calculated using the function's derivatives at a specific point.

2. What is the purpose of a Taylor series?

The purpose of a Taylor series is to approximate a function with a polynomial expression, making it easier to evaluate and manipulate the function.

3. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series is calculated by taking the derivative of a function at a specific point, and then using that value to construct the terms of the series.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where the center point is at x=0. This means that the terms of the series are calculated using the derivatives of the function at x=0.

5. What are some applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering for approximating functions and solving differential equations. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces.