How do I construct a matrix that satisfies certain conditions?

In summary, Joe is struggling with building a matrix H that, when multiplied by a vector v, will produce a new matrix U with a constant 1/2 applied to certain terms. He has deduced that H will be a 4x8 matrix and v will be an 8x1 matrix. He has also realized that H must have two entries of 1/2 in each row, but is unsure how to make it orthogonal. He has considered using the Kronecker Delta, but is unsure how it would help. Another user suggests using index notation and provides a hint using the Kronecker Delta to find a general formula for H_{ij}. Joe struggles with this concept and asks for further clarification. The conversation ends with
Agent M27

Homework Statement

I am having trouble building a matrix in my post so I have attached the question (2.27) and my work thus far. I need to develop a matrix H which when multiplied by a vector v produces a new matrix U with a constant 1/2 applied to certain terms of the matrix. Please see the attached matrix question for the final matrix which is desired. In the question v is composed of n elements, where n=8. From this I have been able to deduce that my final matrix will be a 4 x 1, my matrix for representing the vector v will be an 8 x 1 matrix, which forces my input matrix H to be a 4 x 8 matrix, due to the rules of matrix multiplication.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I realized that my matrix H must have two entries of 1/2 in each row. As far as the original question, my method proves correct, but when I look at the second part of the question, part (b), it alludes to the fact that my matrix H must be orthogonal, which in its current form it is not. I have attempted to place [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex] in clever locations along the rows which gives me orthogonality, but it does not fit the final condition of each row in matrix U being composed of only two elements of v and 1/2. Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the sloppy hand written solution. As an aside, can anyone let me know how to construct a matrix in this forum? Thanks in advance. BTW this problem is from the text "Discrete Wavelet Transformations: An Elementary Approach with Applications." by Patrick Van Fleet.

Attachments

• matrix question'.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 216
  • matrix h.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that for this problem, it might be easiest if you work in index notation. Can you think of a way to represent [itex]H_{ij}[/itex]?

Hint: The Kronecker delta should come in handy here:wink:

I also ought to have mentioned I have no experience or formal training what so ever concerning linear algebra, I am basically learning it from this text alone. This text is being used as a primer for a research project I am involved in. I briefly read up about the Kronecker Delta, but it is unclear to me how it would benefit me in solving this problem. Thanks.

Joe

Agent M27 said:
I also ought to have mentioned I have no experience or formal training what so ever concerning linear algebra, I am basically learning it from this text alone. This text is being used as a primer for a research project I am involved in. I briefly read up about the Kronecker Delta, but it is unclear to me how it would benefit me in solving this problem. Thanks.

Joe

Well, let's take a look at [itex]H[/itex] for [itex]n=8[/itex]:

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Clearly, all the entries in a given row are zero except for two and those two are equal to 1/2 and depend on which row you are talking about. In the 1st row, only the 1st two entries are non-zero, so

[tex]H_{1j}=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}\frac{1}{2}, & j=1 \text{ or } 2 \\ 0, & j\neq 1 \text{ or } 2\end{array}\right. = \frac{1}{2}\left(\delta_{1,1}+\delta_{1,2}\right)[/tex]

In the second row, only the 3rd and 4th entries are non-zero, so

[tex]H_{2j}=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}\frac{1}{2}, & j=3 \text{ or } 4 \\ 0, & j\neq 3 \text{ or } 4\end{array}\right. = \frac{1}{2}\left(\delta_{2,3}+\delta_{2,4}\right)[/tex]

And so on... Can you deduce the general formula for [itex]H_{ij}[/itex]?

I can only partially generalize the matrix H. I formed the following parameters:

Hij = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] when j=2i

Am I at least on the right track? Thanks for your patience, this linear algebra is a really brain burner!

By the way I tried to copy your latex code by clicking it and copying it from the window that it is brought up in, but it just comes out as the code, not the format as you have it, what did I do wrong?

Joe

Agent M27 said:
I can only partially generalize the matrix H. I formed the following parameters:

Hij = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] when j=2i

Am I at least on the right track? Thanks for your patience, this linear algebra is a really brain burner!

Close, [itex]H_{ij}[/itex] also equals 1/2 when j=2i-1. So, the general expression will be

[tex]H_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\delta_{2i,j}+\delta_{2i-1,j}\right)[/tex]

Follow?

By the way I tried to copy your latex code by clicking it and copying it from the window that it is brought up in, but it just comes out as the code, not the format as you have it, what did I do wrong?

Joe

Just enclose the code in tex tags ([#tex] put code here and get rid of the # signs [#/tex])

Related to How do I construct a matrix that satisfies certain conditions?

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to represent and manipulate data and equations.

What are the elements of a matrix?

The elements of a matrix are the individual numbers, symbols, or expressions that make up the matrix. They are arranged in rows and columns and can be represented by their position in the matrix, such as a11 for the element in the first row and first column.

How is a matrix constructed?

A matrix is constructed by arranging its elements in rows and columns within brackets. For example, the matrix A with elements a11, a12, a21, and a22 would be written as [a11 a12; a21 a22]. The number of rows and columns in a matrix determine its size and are typically denoted as m x n, where m is the number of rows and n is the number of columns.

What is the purpose of constructing a matrix?

Constructing a matrix allows for the organization and manipulation of data and equations in a structured format. Matrices are commonly used in mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. They also have applications in solving systems of linear equations, representing transformations in geometry, and in data analysis and machine learning.

What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices (with an equal number of rows and columns), diagonal matrices (with non-zero elements only along the main diagonal), symmetric matrices (where the elements above and below the main diagonal are the same), and identity matrices (with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else). Other types include zero matrices (with all elements equal to 0), scalar matrices (with a single non-zero element along the main diagonal), and sparse matrices (with a large number of 0 elements). Matrices can also be classified as row matrices (1 x n) or column matrices (m x 1).