How do I convert 2cis(-pi/3)cis(pi/6) into cartesian form?

In summary, the problem asks to convert 2cis(-pi/3)cis(pi/6) into cartesian form, using the formula 2((cos(theta) +isin(theta))+(cos(theta)+isin(theta))). However, this formula is incorrect and the correct formula is cis(a) x cis(b) = cis(a+b). Therefore, the correct solution involves multiplying the two complex numbers together, rather than adding them as stated in the attempt at a solution. Additionally, it is important to leave the angle values (-pi/3 and pi/6) until the end of the solution.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

Convert 2cis(-pi/3)cis(pi/6) into cartesian form. Show all working to obtain full marks

Homework Equations

I know that the equation for it is 2((cos(theta) +isin(theta))+(cos(theta)+isin(theta)))

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so cos of (-p/3) = 1/2
Sin of (-p/3) = sqrt(3)/2
Cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3)/2
Sin(pi/6) = 1/2

So basically you get this big answer as 2((1/2-isqrt(3)/2)+(sort(3)/2+1/2i))

Is this the correct answer or do I need to multiply it out?

I know the R for this is 2. I know the theta is tan^-1(y/x) but I am a little confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
SteliosVas said:

Homework Statement

Convert 2cis(-pi/3)cis(pi/6) into cartesian form. Show all working to obtain full marks

Homework Equations

I know that the equation for it is 2((cos(theta) +isin(theta))+(cos(theta)+isin(theta)))
In the problem statement you're multiplying, but in the above you're adding. Which is it?
SteliosVas said:

The line above is wrong.
SteliosVas said:
Cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3)/2
Sin(pi/6) = 1/2

I know the R for this is 2. I know the theta is tan^-1(y/x) but I am a little confused...

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
In the problem statement you're multiplying, but in the above you're adding. Which is it?
The above is wrong.

The reason I am adding is because is that not the formula to convert from that form to Cartesian?

Mark44 said:
The above is wrong.
What is wrong?

SteliosVas said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3)/2
Sin(pi/6) = 1/2

##\text{cis}(a) \times \text{cis}(b) = \text{cis}(a+b)##; see, eg.,http://math.wikia.com/wiki/Cis_θ

Mark44 said:
The above is wrong.
SteliosVas said:
The reason I am adding is because is that not the formula to convert from that form to Cartesian?
This is what you wrote: "I know that the equation for it is 2((cos(theta) +isin(theta))+(cos(theta)+isin(theta)))"
That is incorrect, and isn't what the formula says.
Mark44 said:
The above is wrong.
SteliosVas said:
What is wrong?
You are misunderstanding what the formula says.

The instruction "show all working" leads me to believe they want you to write out the whole thing, thus 'discovering' the wikia product theorem.
Don't work with numbers, just leave the ##-{\pi\over 3}## and the ##\pi \over 6## until the very last.

Thanks for that guys, I think I got it now!

Related to How do I convert 2cis(-pi/3)cis(pi/6) into cartesian form?

1. What is the difference between polar and cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing a point in a plane using its distance from a fixed point (the pole) and its angle from a fixed line (the polar axis). Cartesian coordinates, on the other hand, use the point's distance from two perpendicular lines (the x and y axes) to specify its location.

2. How do you convert from polar to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
where r is the distance from the pole and theta is the angle from the polar axis. These formulas can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem and basic trigonometry.

3. Why would someone use polar coordinates instead of cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are often used in situations where the distance and angle from a fixed point are more relevant than the distance from two perpendicular lines. For example, polar coordinates are commonly used in polar graphs, complex numbers, and engineering applications involving rotation and circular motion.

4. What are the limitations of polar coordinates?

One limitation of polar coordinates is that they are not as intuitive as cartesian coordinates for everyday use. It can be challenging to visualize a point's location based on its distance from a fixed point and angle from a fixed line. Additionally, polar coordinates are not as useful for representing points in three-dimensional space, as they only specify a point's location in two dimensions.

5. Can you convert back and forth between polar and cartesian coordinates?

Yes, you can easily convert between polar and cartesian coordinates using the formulas mentioned in question 2. To convert from cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
theta = arctan(y/x)
where x and y are the coordinates in the cartesian system.