How Do I Convert Amps to Coulombs?

In summary, you need to calculate the velocity of charge in a current carrying conductor by using the electric field present inside the conductor and average time between 2 successive collisions of an electron.
Googl
Hi all,

I don't feel too confident at the moment to think about this. I have a set of values which I am supposed to work out some thing. The formula I am supposed to use requires me to convert current (Amps) to Charge (C).

How do I convert Current to Coulombs?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need a time. 1 ampere is 1 coulomb per second.

Thanks.

What formula would you use to calculate the velocity of charge in a current carrying conductor? I have one but involves force.

Googl said:
Thanks.

What formula would you use to calculate the velocity of charge in a current carrying conductor? I have one but involves force.

You need the density of the free carriers (electrons) in order to calculate the Drift Speed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current

well you can't find exact velocity as the electrons keep on colliding as they proceed to make current ... but you can find an average velocity with which they would travel

but for that you need average time between 2 successive collisions of an electron ...

and it DONOT require electron density but do need electric field present inside conductor! ... which is yes related to force!

cupid.callin said:
well you can't find exact velocity as the electrons keep on colliding as they proceed to make current ... but you can find an average velocity with which they would travel

but for that you need average time between 2 successive collisions of an electron ...

and it DONOT require electron density but do need electric field present inside conductor! ... which is yes related to force!

Did you read the link?

no
but drift velocity = eEt/2m

you can easily derive this ... and it don't involve any electron density

its current in terms of drift velocity which needs electron density!

cupid.callin said:
no
but drift velocity = eEt/2m

you can easily derive this ... and it don't involve any electron density

its current in terms of drift velocity which needs electron density!

Then what is "n" in the link?
I=nAvQ

I know that the eqn of wiki is giving a result which involves n but still I'm just saying that v can be found out without using n(electron density)!

I am not disagreeing with wiki and u ! ... Some extra results are always helpful!

FAQ: How Do I Convert Amps to Coulombs?

1. What is the relationship between current (A) and coulombs (C)?

The relationship between current and coulombs is that current is the rate at which coulombs flow past a point in a circuit. One coulomb is equal to one ampere-second, so the amount of current in a circuit can be calculated by dividing the total charge (in coulombs) by the time it takes to flow (in seconds).

2. How is current (A) measured?

Current is measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge through a circuit. The unit for current is amperes (A) and is typically measured using a multimeter or a clamp meter.

3. Can current (A) be negative?

Yes, current can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the flow of electrons in a circuit is opposite to the conventional flow of current. In such cases, the current is denoted with a negative sign, but the magnitude remains the same.

4. How does current (A) affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through a circuit. This means that an increase in current will result in an increase in the strength of the electric field, and a decrease in current will result in a decrease in the strength of the electric field.

5. What is the SI unit for current (A)?

The SI unit for current is ampere (A), named after the French physicist André-Marie Ampère. One ampere is defined as the amount of current that flows through two parallel conductors of infinite length and negligible cross-section, which are placed one meter apart in a vacuum, and produces a force of 2 x 10^-7 newtons per meter of length between the conductors.