How Do I Correctly Calculate Vector C Using Unit Vectors?

• Thread starter J89
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving vector addition and unit vectors. The problem includes finding the unit vector representation of Vector A and Vector B, expressing Vector C in terms of unit vectors, and finding the magnitude and direction of Vector C. The student is struggling with part B and has attempted it using trial and error, but their answer does not match the one in the solution manual. The error is likely due to an incorrect value for Vector B, which should be -1.2i - 2.1j when measured in standard counter-clockwise angles.
J89

Homework Statement

Here's the entire question. But I ONLY NEED help with part B. Part A and Part C I know how to do:

Vector A is 3.60 m with an angle of 70 degrees and Vector B is 2.4 m with an angle of 30 degrees downward.

a) Write Vector A and Vector B in terms of the unit i and j (already completed)

b) Use unit vectors express vector C where vector C = 3.00A-4.00B

c) Find the magnitude and direction of Vector C

Homework Equations

Vector addition..

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the solution for part A.

Vector A= 3.60sin70=3.38
3.60cos70=1.23
so Vector A in terms of i and j= 1.23i + 3.38j

Vector B= 2.4sin30=1.2
2.4cos30=2.1
so vector B in terms of i and j= -1.2i + -2.1j (negative since going down)

For part b, I did trial and error, however when I looked at the answer in the back of the book, it was completely wrong. The answer is 12.01i + 14.94j and the numbers I got is much lower. I cannot do part C without getting part B first. Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says C = 3A - 4B
Replace A with your answer (1.23i + 3.38j) and B with your (-1.2i - 2.1j).
Expand and simplify. The final answer should be a number times i plus a number times j.

If angles are measured positive counter-clockwise from the positive x-axis (as standard) then your value for B is incorrect.

Last edited:

Related to How Do I Correctly Calculate Vector C Using Unit Vectors?

1. What does "struggling with second part of question" mean?

The phrase "struggling with second part of question" typically refers to having difficulty understanding or answering the second part of a multi-part question. This could be due to a lack of knowledge, confusion about the question, or difficulty organizing thoughts.

2. How can I improve my ability to answer the second part of a question?

One way to improve your ability to answer the second part of a question is to carefully read and analyze the question before answering. Make sure you fully understand what is being asked and take note of any keywords or phrases that may be important. Additionally, practicing with similar types of questions and seeking clarification if needed can also help improve your skills.

3. Are there any strategies for tackling the second part of a question?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be helpful in tackling the second part of a question. One approach is to break down the question into smaller parts and answer each part individually. Another strategy is to use visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, to help organize your thoughts and answer the question more effectively. It can also be beneficial to practice active reading and highlighting or underlining key points in the question.

4. What should I do if I still struggle with the second part of a question?

If you continue to have difficulty with the second part of a question, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or colleague. They may be able to provide additional explanations or examples to help you better understand the question. It could also be beneficial to review relevant material or do additional research on the topic to improve your understanding.

5. Can struggling with the second part of a question affect my overall performance?

Yes, struggling with the second part of a question can impact your overall performance, especially if it is a recurring issue. It is important to work on improving your skills in this area to ensure you are able to fully understand and answer all parts of a question. This can help you achieve better grades on assignments and tests, as well as improve your overall knowledge and understanding of the subject.