How Do I Correctly Plot an Electric Field Around a Base Station Using MATLAB?

In summary, the task at hand is to plot an electric field in the range of 200m around a base station with an EIRP of 57.5dBm, a gain of 1, and an N value of 4. The equation for calculating the electric field is E=[2*sqrt(30*N*P*G)]/r, with P=10exp[(EIRP-30)/10]. The attempt at a solution involved using the meshgrid function in MATLAB to plot the field, but the result was not satisfactory. The poster is open to suggestions for alternative methods and also needs help incorporating the gain value into the equation to achieve a non-symmetrical result.
jadelsky

Homework Statement

I need to plot an electric field in some range around base station, for example in range of 200m.

EIRP=57,5dBm
G=1 for the first example
N=4

Homework Equations

E=[2*sqrt(30*N*P*G)]/r
P=10exp[(EIRP-30)/10]
EIRP=57,5dBm
G=1 for the first example
N=4

The Attempt at a Solution

[X,Y] = meshgrid(-200:.50:200,-200:.50:200);
E=520./sqrt(X.^2+Y.^2);
contour(X,Y,E);

so when i calculate the numerator it's around 520 so i just placed it directly, and in the denominator part i placed sqrt(X.^2+Y.^2) so it's the result for any distance from the station in this range from 0 to 200...the result i get is not good, i used contour plot, I'm really not that familiar with plotting in MATLAB so this is the first option i thought will work (maybe there are better options?)...in the attached file i made a snapshot of my result and the result of some other example...my result should look something like that...

I would appreciate any help very much...Thanks!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
and also i should include G (gain) in the equation so it all don't come out symetric but i got no idea how should i do it...

Related to How Do I Correctly Plot an Electric Field Around a Base Station Using MATLAB?

1. What is a contour plot in Matlab?

A contour plot in Matlab is a graphical representation of a 3-dimensional surface in two dimensions. It is created by plotting points on a grid and connecting them with lines that represent points with the same value on the surface. This allows for visualization of changes in the surface over a range of values.

2. How do I create a contour plot in Matlab?

To create a contour plot in Matlab, you can use the "contour" or "contourf" function. The "contour" function creates a contour plot with lines, while the "contourf" function creates a filled contour plot. Both functions require the input of the x-coordinates, y-coordinates, and z-values of the points on the surface. You can also add labels, titles, and a colorbar to your contour plot for better visualization.

3. How do I customize my contour plot in Matlab?

You can customize your contour plot in Matlab by changing the number of levels, the color scheme, the line style, and the axis limits. You can also add grid lines, change the font and size of labels and titles, and add annotations or text to your plot. Additionally, you can use the "colormap" function to create a custom color scheme for your contour plot.

4. Can I add multiple contour plots in one figure in Matlab?

Yes, you can add multiple contour plots in one figure in Matlab by using the "hold on" function. This allows you to plot multiple contour plots on the same axes, making it easier to compare and analyze different surfaces or data sets. You can also use the "subplot" function to create a grid of smaller contour plots within one figure.

5. How can I export my contour plot from Matlab?

To export your contour plot from Matlab, you can use the "print" function. This allows you to save your plot as an image file (such as PNG, JPEG, or TIFF) or as a vector graphics file (such as EPS or PDF). You can also copy and paste your contour plot directly into other programs, such as Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, by using the "Edit" menu in the figure window.