How do I determine the type of discontinuity for a discontinuous function?

In summary, discontinuous functions can be classified into three types: removable, jump, and essential. Removable discontinuities occur when there is a point missing in an otherwise smooth function. Jump discontinuities occur when the function makes a jump at a certain point. Essential discontinuities, also known as infinite discontinuities, occur when the function approaches infinity at a certain point. To determine the type of discontinuity in a function, one can factor the function and see if the denominator cancels out. If it does, it is a removable discontinuity. If it does not, it is either a jump or essential discontinuity. However, this method may not work for all functions, such as square root functions or piecewise functions
LostMathStudent
I need help with discontinuous functions. More specifically, how to determine what type of discontinuity they are, algebraically.

Example: Determine whether each function is continuous at the given x values. Justify using the continuity test. If discontinuous, identify the type of discontinuity

(x^2 - 36)/(x+6); at x=-6 and x=6

Alright, so I know the function is continuous at 6, but discontinuous at 6 because the value makes the denominator a zero.

Now, how do I determine what type of discontinuity this function is? Is there a certain way I should preferably be doing this? I'm honestly pretty lost.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that

$$\frac{x^2 - 36}{x+6} = x-6$$

What can you say about the discontinuities of this function then?

Last edited:
LostMathStudent said:
I need help with discontinuous functions. More specifically, how to determine what type of discontinuity they are, algebraically.

Example: Determine whether each function is continuous at the given x values. Justify using the continuity test. If discontinuous, identify the type of discontinuity

(x^2 - 36)/(x+6); at x=-6 and x=6

Alright, so I know the function is continuous at 6, but discontinuous at 6 because the value makes the denominator a zero.

Now, how do I determine what type of discontinuity this function is? Is there a certain way I should preferably be doing this? I'm honestly pretty lost.

Hi LostMathStudent! Welcome to MHB! :)

We usually distinguish 3 types of discontinuities: removable, jump, and essential.
You can find the classification of discontinuities on wikipedia.
It's possible though that in your textbook the names are slightly different.

In short, it's removable if the function is smooth, but there is just a point missing.
It's a jump if the function makes a jump at the point in question.
And otherwise it is called (by some sources) an essential discontinuity.

What type do you think you have?

I like Serena said:
Hi LostMathStudent! Welcome to MHB! :)

We usually distinguish 3 types of discontinuities: removable, jump, and essential.
You can find the classification of discontinuities on wikipedia.
It's possible though that in your textbook the names are slightly different.

In short, it's removable if the function is smooth, but there is just a point missing.
It's a jump if the function makes a jump at the point in question.
And otherwise it is called (by some sources) an essential discontinuity.

What type do you think you have?

I know the differences between all the discontinuities, except in our class we call essential discontinuity infinite discontinuity.

Could I factor the function, and then if they cancel out I know I have removable discontinuity? Then, if they don't cancel, I still have essential discontinuity.

I'm not sure if this works on all functions, including square root functions and piecewise functions. I'm assuming that square root functions can only have removable discontinuity, and piecewise can only have jump discontinuity.

LostMathStudent said:
I know the differences between all the discontinuities, except in our class we call essential discontinuity infinite discontinuity.

Could I factor the function, and then if they cancel out I know I have removable discontinuity? Then, if they don't cancel, I still have essential discontinuity.

I'm not sure if this works on all functions, including square root functions and piecewise functions. I'm assuming that square root functions can only have removable discontinuity, and piecewise can only have jump discontinuity.

That sounds pretty good.
Formally these classifications are done based on left-sided and right-sided limits.
Are you familiar with those?
Otherwise your classifications seem to hit the mark.

However, suppose you have the piecewise function:
$$f(x)=\begin{cases}
x &\text{if }x \ne 0 \\
1 &\text{if }x = 0 \end{cases}$$
Then the discontinuity at $x=0$ is removable instead of a jump discontinuity.Anyway, in your current problem you can indeed factor and cancel the denominator, making it a removable discontinuity.

Related to How do I determine the type of discontinuity for a discontinuous function?

1. How do I identify a discontinuous function?

A function is discontinuous if there is a break or gap in the graph. This means that the function is not continuous at that point.

2. What are the different types of discontinuities?

There are three main types of discontinuities: removable, jump, and infinite. Removable discontinuities occur when there is a hole in the graph, jump discontinuities occur when there is a sudden jump in the graph, and infinite discontinuities occur when the function approaches infinity at a certain point.

3. How do I determine the type of discontinuity for a given function?

To determine the type of discontinuity, you need to analyze the behavior of the function at the point of discontinuity. If the function has a break in the graph but can be easily fixed by filling in the hole, it is a removable discontinuity. If there is a sudden jump in the graph, it is a jump discontinuity. And if the function approaches infinity at a certain point, it is an infinite discontinuity.

4. Can a function have more than one type of discontinuity?

Yes, a function can have more than one type of discontinuity. For example, a function can have both a removable and a jump discontinuity at different points on the graph.

5. Why is it important to identify the type of discontinuity in a function?

It is important to identify the type of discontinuity in a function because it affects the continuity of the function and how it behaves at that point. This can have implications in solving equations and understanding the overall behavior of the function.