How do I do this calculus related rates problem?

In summary, water is leaking from a trough at a rate of 0.8 l/s with a trapezoidal cross section. The width at the bottom is 55 cm, at the top is 85 cm, and the height is 25 cm. When the depth of water is 11 cm, the rate at which the height is changing can be found using the volume of water as a function of the width and depth. By using two points on the linear relationship between width and depth, the slope and point-slope formula can be used to find the line.
Temit96
Water is leaking from a trough at the rate of 0.8 l/s. The trough has a trapezoidal cross section, where the width at the bottom is 55 cm, at the top is 85cm, and the height is 25 cm. The length of the trough is 3 m.
Find the rate at which the height is changing when the depth of water is 11 cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use cm as the unit of length and s as the unit of time. At time $t$, let the width of the water's surface in a trapezoidal cross-section be $w$. Let the depth of the water be $h$. So, the volume of water at that time is then:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{2}(w+55)300=150h(w+55)\)

Now, we want to express $w$ as a function of $h$. We can see it will be a linear relationship, and we know two points on the line. Can you use these two points to find the slope and then the point-slope formula to find this line?

FAQ: How do I do this calculus related rates problem?

1. How do I identify related rates in a calculus problem?

To identify related rates in a calculus problem, you need to look for variables that are changing with respect to time. These variables will be related to each other through an equation, and their rates of change will also be related. This is known as the chain rule in calculus.

2. What steps should I follow to solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you should follow these steps: 1. Identify the variables and their rates of change in the problem.2. Write an equation that relates these variables.3. Use the chain rule to differentiate the equation with respect to time.4. Substitute the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What is the chain rule in calculus and how does it apply to related rates?

The chain rule in calculus is a rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composition of functions. In related rates problems, we have multiple variables that are changing with respect to time, and the chain rule helps us find the relationship between these variables and their rates of change.

4. How do I know if I need to use implicit differentiation in a related rates problem?

Implicit differentiation is used in related rates problems when the equation involves multiple variables that are not explicitly stated. If the variables are not explicitly given, then you will need to use implicit differentiation to find the relationship between them and their rates of change.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life problem that can be solved using related rates?

A common example of a real-life problem that can be solved using related rates is calculating the rate at which a balloon is deflating. In this scenario, the volume of the balloon decreases over time, and the rate of change of the volume is related to the rate of change of the radius of the balloon. By using related rates, we can determine how fast the balloon is deflating at a specific time.