How do I evaluate a double integral over a specific region?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving evaluating a double integral over the region R={(x,y): y<=x<=1, 0<=y<=1}. The conversation also touches on the order of integration and provides guidance on how to approach the problem.
kieranl

Homework Statement

Sketch the region of integration and then evaluate the double integral:

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\int[/tex]x2exydA over the region R= {(x,y), y<=x<=1, 0<=y<=1}

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to do half of the problem and integrate it respect to x but then have no idea how to finish the problem.

I mangaged to get upto [tex]\int[/tex]ey(2/y2-2/y3-1/y)+ey2(y-2/y+2/y3) dy

can someone please tell me how to finish it or if i have done something wrong so far??

cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi kieranl! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a ≤ :wink:)
kieranl said:
[tex]\int\int[/tex]x2exydA over the region R= {(x,y), y<=x<=1, 0<=y<=1}

I mangaged to get upto [tex]\int[/tex]ey(2/y2-2/y3-1/y)+ey2(y-2/y+2/y3) dy

uhh? :confused:

start again, and integrate over dy first! :smile:

but if i integrated by dy first wouldn't i end up with an answer containing y's and not numbers??

kieranl said:
but if i integrated by dy first wouldn't i end up with an answer containing y's and not numbers??

If you integrate with respect to dy, then you eliminate y, and only have x's.

but i have to integrate over y<=x<=1 for dx so the final answer would then contain y's?

Draw a picture of the region R. Then use the picture to write R in the form

R={(x,y):a<x<b, f(x)<y<g(x)}.

Hi kieranl! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a ≤ :wink:)
kieranl said:
but i have to integrate over y<=x<=1 for dx so the final answer would then contain y's?

No, you have to integrate over 0 ≤ y ≤ x ≤ 1 …

whether you do it over x first or over y first is up to you. :wink:

Related to How do I evaluate a double integral over a specific region?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integration in calculus that involves finding the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated and A represents the area over which the integration is performed.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral involves finding the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, while a double integral involves finding the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. In a single integral, the area is calculated along one axis, whereas in a double integral, the volume is calculated along two axes.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of an object, as well as to find the probability of events in statistics and to solve optimization problems in economics.

4. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can use the appropriate integration techniques, such as the Fubini's theorem, to evaluate the integral. This involves integrating the function with respect to one variable while treating the other variable as a constant, and then integrating the resulting function with respect to the other variable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integrals include using incorrect limits of integration, forgetting to include the differential term "dA" or "dx dy", and confusing the order of integration. It is important to carefully follow the steps of solving a double integral and to check for any mistakes before proceeding with the calculation.

Back