How do I evaluate complex numbers in rectangular form and polar form?

• Thread starter cshum00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasors
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating a complex number in rectangular form and the use of polar form in certain operations. The correct solution is 8.293 + j2.2, but the individual had initially obtained a different answer due to an error in converting to polar form.
cshum00

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following complex numbers (results in rectangular form):
[tex] \frac{10 + j5 + 3\angle 40^{\circ}}{-3 + j4} + 10 \angle 30^{\circ} [/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that the solution is:
8.293 + j2.2
But i get a different answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert into rectangular form when adding or subtracting and to polar form when multiplying and dividing. Change the answer to rectangular form.
[tex] \frac{10 + j5 + 3\angle 40^{\circ}}{-3 + j4} + 10 \angle 30^{\circ} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{10 + j5 + 3cos(40^{\circ}) + 3jsin(40^{\circ})}{[(-3)^2 + (4)^2]^1^/^2 \angle arctan(4/-3)} + 10cos(30^{\circ}) + 10jsin(30^{\circ}) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{10 + j5 + 2.30 + j1.93}{5 \angle -53.13^{\circ}} + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] \frac{12.30 + j6.93}{5 \angle -53.13^{\circ}} + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] \frac{[(12.30)^2 + (6.93)^2]^1^/^2 \angle arctan(6.93/12.30)}{5 \angle -53.13^{\circ}} + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] \frac{14.12 \angle 29.40^{\circ}}{5 \angle -53.13^{\circ}} + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] \frac{14.12}{5}\angle [29.40^{\circ}-(-53.13^{\circ})] + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] 2.824 \angle 83.53^{\circ} + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] 0.37 + j2.8 + 8.66 + j5[/tex]

[tex] 9.03 + j7.8[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you convert the denominator to polar form? Keep it in rectangular form, multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the fraction, and go from there...

I converted it all in polar form because i believed that no matter if i use it in polar or rectangular form, the answer must be the same.

I found out that my error was when i was converting it to polar form. I forgot that after applying the arctangent to verify that the phase of the angle would give the correct signs otherwise i would have to shift the phases by 180 degrees.

Related to How do I evaluate complex numbers in rectangular form and polar form?

What is a phasor?

A phasor is a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal waveform. It has a magnitude and a phase angle, and is often used to simplify the analysis of circuits and signals.

Why do we use phasors?

Phasors are used to analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical systems without having to deal with the time-varying nature of the signals. They allow for easier calculations and visualizations of the system's response.

How do phasors relate to real world applications?

Phasors are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in electrical power systems, telecommunications, and audio engineering. They help engineers and scientists design and analyze systems more efficiently and accurately.

What are the basic operations of phasors?

The basic operations of phasors include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be used to solve complex circuit problems and analyze the behavior of signals over time.

How do I use phasors to solve circuit problems?

To solve circuit problems using phasors, you first need to convert all the signals to phasor form. Then, you can use the basic operations of phasors to analyze the circuit and find the desired quantities, such as voltages and currents. Finally, you can convert the phasor solutions back to the time domain to get the final answer.