How do I Expand a Cubic Problem?

In summary: Yes, it is correct, but you can further simplify it:For example:## -1.5 x^4 -3 x^4 = (-1.5 - 3)x^4 = -4.5x^4 ##-1.5x^4-3x^4=-4.5x^4
Grove1996

Homework Statement

Hey

I have a question that I have to do that involves expanding a cubic. It is given in the form y = , once it is found I have to square it and then substitute it into a formula to find the area. All I need help with is the expansion than after that it's quite easy.

Homework Equations

Sorry I don't know how to use the options here to create formulas etc. But I hope the following link works.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58828&stc=1&d=1368927170

This is the equation that I need to expand.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to expand a cubic already, it's not that difficult. The problem is with the +2 at the end of the equation. Do I ignore it, expand the brackets and add it on at the end?

Attachments

• sadasdas.PNG
    sadasdas.PNG
    619 bytes · Views: 635
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Grove1996,

Usually you would do the operations in the brackets first and then simplify after. So yes you would need to add the 2 to the constant from the cubic expansion

So when do any expansion, you would sum up all the x's and constants and so on.

e.g. (x+1)2+4 = (x+1)(x+1) + 4 = x2 + x +x +1 +4 = x2 + 2x + 5

rock.freak667 said:
Hi Grove1996,

Usually you would do the operations in the brackets first and then simplify after. So yes you would need to add the 2 to the constant from the cubic expansion

So when do any expansion, you would sum up all the x's and constants and so on.

e.g. (x+1)2+4 = (x+1)(x+1) + 4 = x2 + x +x +1 +4 = x2 + 2x + 5

Thank you :)

Yes, it is correct, but you can further simplify it:

For example:
## -1.5 x^4 -3 x^4 = (-1.5 - 3)x^4 = -4.5x^4 ##

Cogswell said:
Yes, it is correct, but you can further simplify it:
In other words: Combine like terms.

Related to How do I Expand a Cubic Problem?

1. What is a cubic problem?

A cubic problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a cubic equation. A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you expand a cubic problem?

To expand a cubic problem, we use the distributive property to multiply each term in the equation by the other terms. We continue this process until all terms are fully expanded and simplified.

3. What is the purpose of expanding a cubic problem?

The purpose of expanding a cubic problem is to make the equation easier to work with and to solve for the variable x. It also allows us to identify any patterns or relationships within the equation that can help us find the solution.

4. What are some common techniques used to expand a cubic problem?

Some common techniques used to expand a cubic problem include using the FOIL method, using the distributive property, and factoring the equation. These techniques help us to simplify the equation and identify any common factors.

5. Are there any limitations to expanding a cubic problem?

Yes, there are limitations to expanding a cubic problem. In some cases, the equation may not be easily expandable due to the complexity of the terms or the lack of common factors. In these cases, other methods such as using the quadratic formula or graphing may be more suitable for finding the solution.