How do I factor this trinomial

• Thread starter priceofcarrot
  • Start date
Now I understand why the original long division was done the way it was. I didn't realize that I was supposed to keep going until the degree of the remainder was less than the degree of the divisor. I think this topic can be closed now.In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling to find a method for factoring a trinomial with the equation 2(x)^3 + 3(x)^2 - 1. Various methods were suggested, such as using the rational roots theorem, synthetic division, and graphing. The student also attempted long division but encountered difficulties. After receiving further guidance, the student was able to successfully factor the trinomial. The conversation was concluded with the
priceofcarrot
So I can't find an example in my book that shows how to factor a trinomial like this one:

2(x)^3 + 3(x)^2 - 1

I tried finding a number that multiplied to -2 and added to 3, but that didn't work. I then tried just factoring x out of the equation, but I didn't know what to do with the -1 that was left over.

Is there another method? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried synthetic division?

priceofcarrot said:
So I can't find an example in my book that shows how to factor a trinomial like this one:

2(x)^3 + 3(x)^2 - 1

I tried finding a number that multiplied to -2 and added to 3, but that didn't work. I then tried just factoring x out of the equation, but I didn't know what to do with the -1 that was left over.

Is there another method? Thanks

Do you know the rational roots theorem?

How about the remainder theorem?

Maybe try graphing it.

The rational roots theorem that LCKurtz mentioned is good. Or just "try" simple numbers are roots, or graphing it as SammyS suggested. Those are all ways of finding roots. And the "remainder theorem" that SammyS also suggested says that if x= a satisfies makes a polynomial equal to 0, then x- a is a factor. And could then use "synthetic division" as CAF123 suggested to find another factor.

I tried doing the find a value of x that makes the polynomial equal 0, and I got 0.5 by trial and error, but when I then went to divide the trinomial in the original post by x - 0.5, I got a remainder. Doesn't that mean that x - 0.5 isn't a factor of the trinomial?

But how is that possible if x-0.5 makes the trinomial equal 0? Did I make a mistake in my division?

Thanks

priceofcarrot said:
I tried doing the find a value of x that makes the polynomial equal 0, and I got 0.5 by trial and error, but when I then went to divide the trinomial in the original post by x - 0.5, I got a remainder. Doesn't that mean that x - 0.5 isn't a factor of the trinomial?

But how is that possible if x-0.5 makes the trinomial equal 0? Did I make a mistake in my division?

Thanks

Yes. Try again. And use ##1/2## instead of .5, maybe that will help your arithmetic. Or show us your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you left out the ##0x## term in the dividend. If you have trouble with long division, why don't you just try plugging ##x=1/2## into the equation and see if it works?

I put 0.5 in the original trinomial, and it equalled 0. But the question wants me to completely factor it. Doesn't that mean I need to use another tool to get the 2nd factor?

Just try doing the long division again and you'll get a quadratic that you can factor; no need for any other tool to get the other factors.

SammyS said:
The result of your first addition (subtraction) is incorrect.

What is 2x3 + 4x2 - 1 - (2x3 - x2) ?

Or after changing subtraction to addition,

what is 2x3 + 4x2 - 1 - 2x3 + x2 ?

(Edited to fix a typo !)
The first one is 3x^2 - 1, and the second is 5x^2 - 1.

I just did the long division again, and this time I got a remainder of -1 + 2x. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've successfully done long division of polynomials before this. I also read all the posts in this topic. Although I don't understand why I should include 0x in the dividend. Isn't that always 0?

priceofcarrot said:

I just did the long division again, and this time I got a remainder of -1 + 2x. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've successfully done long division of polynomials before this. I also read all the posts in this topic. Although I don't understand why I should include 0x in the dividend. Isn't that always 0?
No matter whether you take
2x3 + 4x2 - 1 - (2x3 - x2)​
or
2x3 + 4x2 - 1 - 2x3 + x2
the result is the same:
5x2 -1 .​

Now, divide (5x2 -1) by (x - 1/2) .

Last edited:
SammyS said:
2x3 + 4x2 - 1 - (2x3 - x2)​
or
2x3 + 4x2 - 1 - 2x3 + x2
the result is the same:
5x2 -1 .​

Now, divide (5x2 -1) by (x - 1/2) .

Corrections in red below:

2x3 + 3x2 - 1 - (2x3 - x2)​
or
2x3 + 3x2 - 1 - 2x3 + x2
the result is the same:
4x2 -1 .​

Now, divide (4x2 -1) by (x - 1/2) .

priceofcarrot said:

You just didn't finish. You can still divide 2x-1 by x-1/2. You keep going until the degree of the remainder is less than the degree of the divisor.

Why don't you try a negative root, -1 for example?

ehild

vela said:
You just didn't finish. You can still divide 2x-1 by x-1/2. You keep going until the degree of the remainder is less than the degree of the divisor.
Thanks a lot for this post. I finally got it to work. I ended up using -1 though after ehild raised it as a possibility. I see that it would have worked with 0.5 too though.
I also corrected the mistake I made in my original work.

Thanks a lot guys!

Now, that the problem has been solved by the OP, I can show an other way of factoring the expression.
2x3+3x2-1=(2x3+2x2)+(x2-1)=2x2(x+1)+(x+1)(x-1)=(x+1)(2x2+x-1)=(x+1)(x+1)(2x-1)

ehild

ehild said:
Now, that the problem has been solved by the OP, I can show an other way of factoring the expression.
2x3+3x2-1=(2x3+2x2)+(x2-1)=2x2(x+1)+(x+1)(x-1)=(x+1)(2x2+x-1)=(x+1)(x+1)(2x-1)

ehild
Nice !

Related to How do I factor this trinomial

1. How do I identify the three terms in a trinomial?

The three terms in a trinomial are usually separated by addition or subtraction signs, and they can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. What is the first step in factoring a trinomial?

The first step is to check if the trinomial has a common factor among all three terms. If so, factor out the common factor.

3. How do I factor a trinomial if it does not have a common factor?

If the trinomial does not have a common factor, you can try using the "ac" method. This involves finding two numbers whose product is equal to the product of the first and last term of the trinomial, and also add up to the middle term. These two numbers can then be used to rewrite the trinomial as a product of two binomials.

4. Can a trinomial have more than one possible factorization?

Yes, a trinomial can have multiple factorizations, especially if it has a prime number as one of its terms. It is important to check all possible factorizations to find the simplest form.

5. How do I check if my factoring is correct?

You can check if your factoring is correct by multiplying the factors back together and simplifying the expression. The resulting expression should be equivalent to the original trinomial.