How Do I Find a Surface Equation Using Multiple Polynomial Regression?

In summary, To approximate a function at a set of data points, you would typically use an interpolation approximation. This would involve fitting a polynomial to the data points. Alternatively, you could use a least squares approximation.
acmilanhn
Hi friends,
I need to get the surface equation like function f(x,y) that passes through 66 points.
I attached the file xls where is the points, and a pdf file where is the graphics of the points.

Can somebody help say me that I have to do for solve it?

Attachments

• 3D.pdf
    172.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Puntos x, y, z.xls
    23 KB · Views: 209
Physics news on Phys.org
acmilanhn,

Does the approximation need to truly go through each of the data points (that is, approximate exactly at the data points) or is a more general approximation acceptable (one where the predicted values approximates the data at the data points)?

The former would generally involve an interpolation approximation while the latter could be treated more simply by, say, Least Squares.

I think my friend that using least squares can work, with r2=0.999999. But the same time, I need to graph the surface therefore I have to get the equation of the surface...

You can perform a multilinear regression (least squares) using a design matrix consisting of two dimensional monomials.

For example, a third degree (bi-cubic) approximation can be generated if you consider as basis functions the following:

[tex]
[1,x,x^2,x^3, y,yx,yx^2, y^2, y^2x, y^3]
[/tex]

Construct a design matrix with columns computed with your data using this basis. Then regress. You'll obtain the various coefficents for each term. Examine the degree of fit.

Your prediction formula would then be:

[tex]
\hat{z}(x,y) = g_0(x) + y \, \left(g_1(x) + y \, \left(g_2(x) + g_3(x) \, y \right) \right)
[/tex]
with
[tex]
g_0(x)= c_0+x \, (c_1 + x \, (c_2 + c_3 \, x ))
[/tex]
[tex]
g_1(x)= c_4+x \, (c_5 + c_6 \, x)
[/tex]
[tex]
g_2(x)= c_7+c_8 \, x
[/tex]
[tex]
g_3(x)= c_9
[/tex]

A higher degree of fit requires a higher order polynomial. But this can have disadvantages as the number of terms can easily grow large. Also, you have to be concerned about the number of data and order of fit as well as the possibilities of numerical ill-condition.

However, this approach is not difficult. In fact, it can easily be done in Excel. For example, see the enclosed Excel file where I took your file and performed this analysis.

Attachments

• Puntos x, y, z (TMcC).xls
    87 KB · Views: 240
excelent my friend... how to use Excel for solve it?

acmilanhn,

There are a couple ways to perform this. You can use the Regression tool from the Analysis Toolpak (which is what I did) or you could just as easily use the LINEST Excel (array) function. The Regression tool will give you a static solution while the LINEST function will give you a dynamic solution (one that changes when inputs change).

Either one will do the job. Look them up in Excel help.

FAQ: How Do I Find a Surface Equation Using Multiple Polynomial Regression?

1. What is multiple polynomial regression?

Multiple polynomial regression is a statistical method used to model the relationship between two or more independent variables and a dependent variable. It is an extension of simple linear regression and allows for the analysis of nonlinear relationships between variables.

2. How is multiple polynomial regression different from simple linear regression?

In simple linear regression, there is only one independent variable and one dependent variable. In multiple polynomial regression, there are multiple independent variables and the relationship between the variables is not limited to a straight line.

3. What is the purpose of using multiple polynomial regression?

The purpose of multiple polynomial regression is to better understand the relationship between variables and to make predictions based on this relationship. It can also help to identify which independent variables have a significant impact on the dependent variable.

4. What are the assumptions of multiple polynomial regression?

The assumptions of multiple polynomial regression include linearity, homoscedasticity (constant variance), normally distributed errors, and independent and normally distributed predictor variables. Additionally, there should be no multicollinearity between the independent variables.

5. How is the success of a multiple polynomial regression model evaluated?

The success of a multiple polynomial regression model is evaluated by examining the overall fit of the model and the significance of the independent variables. This can be done through measures such as the R-squared value, adjusted R-squared value, and p-values for the independent variables.

Back