How do i find applied force if it not given?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find applied force, force of friction, and coefficient of friction when they are not given in a problem. It is suggested to use Newton's laws and the simple model of friction in terms of \mu and normal force. However, the exact method of solving these problems depends on the specific problem and may require framing it in a specific form.
puni12
how do i find applied force if it not given?
how do i find force of friction if coefficient of friction is also not given?
how do i find coefficient of friction of objects on 3 different surfaces?
(what should be the variable?)
thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
the way is same, resolve the forces, get the normal. if co-oefiicient is not given, its very simple, you can't find. for three surface, if there are less than 3 equations, then the solution is also simple. you can't help.

make your question a bit clearer. frame it in a for of sum

puni12 said:
how do i find...
The particulars of how you'd solve for applied force, or friction, or the coefficient of friction depend on the exact problem. But usually it will involved applying Newton's laws and the simple model of friction in terms of [itex]\mu[/itex] and normal force.

Pick a specific problem and give it a try.

Related to How do i find applied force if it not given?

1. How do I find the applied force if it is not given?

The applied force can be found by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). If you know the mass of the object and its acceleration, you can solve for the force applied.

2. Can I use any other equations to find the applied force?

Yes, there are other equations that can be used to find the applied force, such as Hooke's law or the work-energy theorem. However, Newton's second law is the most commonly used and reliable method.

3. What if I don't know the mass or acceleration of the object?

In this case, you will need to gather more information or make measurements to determine the mass and acceleration. You can also try using other equations that involve force, such as the impulse-momentum theorem.

4. Is there a way to estimate the applied force if I don't have precise measurements?

Yes, you can estimate the applied force by using the concept of order of magnitude. This means considering the approximate value of the mass and acceleration and rounding them to the nearest power of 10. This will give you a rough estimate of the applied force.

5. Can the applied force be negative?

Yes, the applied force can be negative if it is in the opposite direction of the motion. This can happen if the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the force. However, it is important to pay attention to the sign convention used in the specific problem or scenario.