How do I find expectation values for a particle in an infinite well?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding <x>, <x^2>, <p>, and <p^2> for a particle in an infinite well with a potential function of V(x)=0 for \frac{-a}{4}<x<\frac{3a}{4}. The wavefunction is found to be \psi(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})] using the usual method. The value of <x> is found to be \frac{a}{4}, but there is a mistake in the calculation for <x^2>, resulting in an incorrect answer of \frac{7a^2}{16}-\
E92M3
I want to find <x> and ,<x^2>, <p>, and <p^2> of a particle in an infinite well where:
[tex]V(x)=0, \frac{-a}{4}<x<\frac{3a}{4}[/tex]

Using the usual method, I found the wavefunction to be:
[tex]\psi(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})][/tex]

I also found:
[tex]<x>=\frac{2}{a}\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}xsin^2[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]dx=\frac{a}{4}[/tex]

<x^2> is where I encounter the 1st problem. Here's my attempt:
[tex]<x^2>=\frac{2}{a}\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}x^2sin^2[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]dx[/tex]
Using by parts I let:
[tex]u=x^2[/tex]
[tex] du=2xdx[/tex]
[tex]dv=sin^2[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]dx[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{2n\pi}sin[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]cos[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{4n\pi}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})][/tex]
(double angle formula used)

[tex]<x^2>=uv-\int vdu=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \left ((x^2)(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{4n\pi}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]) \right )_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}} -\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}2x(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{4n\pi}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])dx\right ][/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \frac{27a^3}{128}-\frac{-a^3}{128}-\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}x^3dx+\frac{a}{4n\pi}\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}2xsin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])dx\right ][/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \frac{7a^3}{32}-\frac{5a^4}{64}+\frac{a}{2n\pi}\left ( \frac{a^2}{4n^2\pi^2}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])-\frac{a}{2n\pi}xcos[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])\right )_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}\right ][/tex]
Sine term vanishes at both limits while cosine term as 1 at both limits:
[tex]=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \frac{7a^3}{32}-\frac{5a^4}{64}+\frac{a}{2n\pi}\left ( \frac{-3a^2}{8n\pi}+\frac{a^2}{8n\pi} \right )\right ]=\frac{7a^2}{16}-\frac{a^2}{4n^2\pi^2}-\frac{5a^3}{32}=\frac{a^2(7n^2\pi^2-4)}{16n^2\pi^2}-\frac{5a^3}{32}[/tex]

This is obviously wrong since the units don't add up/ How can there be a^2 and a^3 at the same time? I spend hours checking and still can't find my mistake.

I plug the equation into a graphic calculator, I think the answer should be:
[tex]\frac{a^2(7n^2\pi^2-24)}{64n^2\pi^2}[/tex]

Now, for <p>, can I just have:
[tex]<p>=m\frac{d<x>}{dt}=m\frac{d}{dt}\frac{a}{4}=0[/tex]
Is this alright or do I have to plug the operator in and integrate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I spot your mistake: from the line in <x^2>=... in the integral you pass from
[itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}2x(\frac{x}{2})dx[/itex] in the firs line to [itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}x^3dx[/itex] in the second one

FAQ: How do I find expectation values for a particle in an infinite well?

1. What is the concept of expectation values?

The expectation value is a concept in statistics and quantum mechanics that represents the average or most probable value of a random variable or observable. In the context of quantum mechanics, it represents the average value of a physical quantity in a given quantum state.

2. How do you calculate expectation values?

To calculate the expectation value of a random variable, you multiply each possible value of the variable by its corresponding probability and then sum all the products. In quantum mechanics, the calculation of expectation values involves using the wave function and the operator corresponding to the observable of interest.

3. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, expectation values represent the most probable outcome of a measurement of a physical quantity. They also play a crucial role in determining the dynamics and behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. In quantum mechanics, the expectation value of an operator can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the wave function and the observable being measured.

5. How are expectation values experimentally determined?

In quantum mechanics, expectation values can be experimentally determined by measuring the observable of interest on multiple identical systems in the same quantum state and then taking the average of the measured values.

Back